Advice on choosing a outdoor tv enclosure

robertH

Hey guys!

Actually I've been getting some information here as a tourist for a long time. Today I registered my own account. I want to get some advice on how to choose a outdoor tv enclosure for my backyard 43inch TV? I google some suppliers (Deertv, Apollo) and find there is big different for the prices. What should I have to pay attention to, waterproof, temperature? Please kindly give your advice. Many thanks.

Regards,
RobertH

Hey guys!

Actually I've been getting some information here as a tourist for a long time. Today I registered my own account. I want to get some advice on how to choose a outdoor tv enclosure for my backyard 43inch TV? I google some suppliers (Deertv, Apollo) and find there is big different for the prices. What should I have to pay attention to, waterproof, temperature? Please kindly give your advice. Many thanks.

Regards,
RobertH
@robertH Personally I'd be concerned with an air-tight seal. My thinking is heat of the day increasing air pressure within and, assuming some air leaks out, cooling overnight would create a vacuum sucking air back in. I suspect this would result in an increase in humidity within the enclosure and likely result in fogging of the image due to an accumulation of moisture on the inside of the window. This used to be a problem with enclosures for pole mounted cameras alongside highways for traffic watch applications. Some of the camera enclosures contained heaters and even motor operated wipers to wipe both the inside and the outside of the windows to deal with rain, snow, ice and condensation. Fortunately they were dealing with MUCH smaller lenses and windows.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Yeah location is key here. If you are in a humid environment you won’t want it sealed tight.

You should look into outdoor tv storage. Something you can just lock up the tv when not in use. When you do use it swing it out or open it and whala.

You could even build it yourself with some gasket material.

The alternative of course is to buy an outdoor rated tv. But those will cost ya around 3-4K for mid range ones. And as much as 10k for high end ones.

@robertH Personally I'd be concerned with an air-tight seal. My thinking is heat of the day increasing air pressure within and, assuming some air leaks out, cooling overnight would create a vacuum sucking air back in. I suspect this would result in an increase in humidity within the enclosure and likely result in fogging of the image due to an accumulation of moisture on the inside of the window. This used to be a problem with enclosures for pole mounted cameras alongside highways for traffic watch applications. Some of the camera enclosures contained heaters and even motor operated wipers to wipe both the inside and the outside of the windows to deal with rain, snow, ice and condensation. Fortunately they were dealing with MUCH smaller lenses and windows.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Thank you very much for your good advice. I didn't even think about the humidity problem.
I am talking with the supplier of Deertv , they say there is a fan for cooling, with sealing system to protect TV from moisture intrusion and water damage. I am still thinking about it.

Yeah location is key here. If you are in a humid environment you won’t want it sealed tight.

You should look into outdoor tv storage. Something you can just lock up the tv when not in use. When you do use it swing it out or open it and whala.

You could even build it yourself with some gasket material.

The alternative of course is to buy an outdoor rated tv. But those will cost ya around 3-4K for mid range ones. And as much as 10k for high end ones.

Many thanks for your advice.
I some days ago planned to build a cabinet myself, after checking in google, that's too difficult for me. Yes, an outdoor tv is a good choice, but it is too expensive
and hard to maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back