College Advice on schools

I am about to finish my 2 year school and now looking at 4 year universities.
I am looking for a school that i can l get the best bang for my buck.
for the ones I listed I would like to know which would be better.
I am open to other school but would like detail of new school. (Preferred but not limited to: East of Chicago)
I would be going to the school for a PM/TD degree (or that schools equivalent)

Some that i have looked into have been:

Carnegie Mellon
SUNY Purchase
SCAD-Savanna College of Art and Design

Thanks
Ramirez

Both CMU and Purchase are conservatory based programs. Historically, conservatory based programs are nearly impossible to transfer out of or into. If you choose either of those schools odds are the credits from your community college won't transfer and you will have to start from scratch or close to scratch. We have a CMU faculty member here, I am sure he will chime in. SCAD is a decent program but when I taught in Atlanta we tried to push most of our students to the northern schools. SCAD can do a design/tech degree but they do it in kind of a weird way.

What is your end goal? You decided to go the community college route first, what did you learn while there? Did you just bang out gen-ed classes or did they have a theatre department that you were active in? How are you paying for the next part of your education (ie just loans or some other way)? Are you OK with the idea of going to school for another 4 years if your credits don't transfer?

You are going to have to get on the phone to any of the schools you are looking at and work out a deal. Theatre is a very hard thing to do with the community college plan. It can be done, but you are going to have to work with the university you decide to move to and partially make your decision on that.

I would say you kinda answered your own question, where can you get the most bang for your buck. What it comes down to is where are you not going to be $80,000 in debt, I know peopke who have that and then sone from a theatre undergrad. Also and just as impirtant where will the faculty inspire you and make you strive to be better, not abuse you, it happens in theatre education all the time. It may not be your Yale or CMU it may be whatever state school. The reality is the industry is competitive and it wont be better with a massive debt you recieve. I would recomend going to USITT in the spring to look at schhols. A lot go tghre looking for grad and under grad students and you can meet with faculty and get a feel for them, if you will be able to co exist with them. So that means a big name school may not be the right fit for you, it may be an unknown school. So what does that mean, you may not get your hands on all the cool touys but youll have a productive and healthy environment to learn in and I think thats more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back