Affordable Desk

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
I am in need of a cheap DMX(1 universe) lighting controller(for conventionals now and maybe moving mirrors in the future, with at least 16 channels that are fader accessible. Now here's the kicker (no laughing, I'm poor) preferably I would like it to be under $400 US.

Any opinions on the EUROLIGHT LC2412 controller from Behringer?
(don't even start getting out your soapbox!)

you can find lots of desks for under $1000 but none of them that will do complex movements or effects. and to use moving lights on them will be complecated unless for a DJ type event.

your better off renting till you can afford an more expensive console. why buy something that wont do the job when you can save up for something that will. if you want an good moving light/ conventional console they can range used from 3 to 15 grand.

just my thoughts on buying gear.

JH

Regarding that Behringer unit. They tried really hard to have a decent piece of gear. My main complaint is that programming on it is horrid. Definately the most terrible console to program that I've ever used. The menus are really strange, and it takes forever to do.

To be honest, the only good use I can think of for it would be to use it with 12 conventionals, straight patched to the faders.

If you are on that tight of a budget though, and this is for DJ use, then I'd say go for it. Program one show into it, and use that same show for every production. Reprogramming the console for every 4 hour show you do is going to suck, big time.

I've used the little 12ch elation console before, they seem sturdy enough. Runs conventionals fine, might have some issues with movers though, since it is meant mainly for conventionals only.

NSI Corp. makes the MC7008 a two scene 8/16 channel board which Alpha Sound and Lighting sells for $274. You would have to get an adapter to get it to DMX, as NSI deals with their own three pin form, or it says it's optional add on to the board, so idk how much that would cost.

You could upgrade that to the MC7016 which is a 16/32 channel, which costs $389.

Depending on your usage you might get away with a controller like the DMX 50 by Chauvet Lighting.

If features 12 fixture buttons (for individual fixtures or groups of like fixtures) and 16 faders per button. Memory is 30 banks of 8 scenes each for a total of 240 scenes.

Triggering can be manual, auto or audio.

The DMX 50 has a MAP price of $ 249.99 but can be had for less on the street ;)

Foxinabox10 said:
NSI Corp. makes the MC7008 a two scene 8/16 channel board which Alpha Sound and Lighting sells for $274. You would have to get an adapter to get it to DMX, as NSI deals with their own three pin form, or it says it's optional add on to the board, so idk how much that would cost.

You could upgrade that to the MC7016 which is a 16/32 channel, which costs $389.

we have this board w/ 5 pin dmx, it works great and is very, very easy to use, just plug and play. Also has some effects, like ch1, ch2 where you can run a preset, youll have to look in the manual though.

What about a DMX Operator Pro ? It will do 128 channels ( 8 fixtures ) for intelligent and 8 channels for conventionals ( may be kinda limited there ) . . . I have been looking at that console for a while myself . . . right now all I run is conventionals but I am daydreaming of color washs and moving heads and :wink: . . . well I need more power . . . and the DMX Operator Pro costs under $400 . . . or what about two consoles ? . . . like a Scene Setter with 24 channels of conventional and a DMX Operator 192 for intelligent lights ( 12 fixtures )? May be a bit more than $400 but close . . . the only problem is you would have two consoles to keep track of . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back