Affordable Qlab "GO" Button Box

So got mine in the mail while I was in LA for Wrestlemania. Was able to set it up last night, map the midi in qlab, and get it working with no issues. Qlab in the background, script in the foreground. Perfection!
Glad it worked out. If anyone wants to order it with Midi just leave a note in the order comments and I'll flash it before it goes out.

Ya, its an either or thing, but it is possible to re-flash it yourself so if you wanted to switch later that would be possible. Not something I'd publish on my listing pages but something that could be done. With the code I usually send it with it shows up as a keyboard. With the midi code on it it shows up as a midi device. It would cause conflicts to run them both at the same time on the same bus.

Are the dual units actually (2) arduinos inside? or running off just one? If two units, could one be set for midi and one for standard?
Man I am probably way over thinking this whole thing...I need to just order one and start using it!

Are the dual units actually (2) arduinos inside? or running off just one? If two units, could one be set for midi and one for standard?
Man I am probably way over thinking this whole thing...I need to just order one and start using it!
Ya, that would be possible. The dual version is two totally separate everything. At no point to electrons from one computer touch the electrons from the other computer. Different boards, grounding, sides of switches, everything. You could throw 480v into one machine and as long as the switches don't melt you could keep operating the other one.

The link in the first message in this topic still works and gives you access to order the updated versions.

Plus I don't think MSC can move the playhead like you can with notes or keyboard. Could be wrong there.

sorry i'm late to this party... you can move the playhead around using MSC:

STANDBY_+ and STANDBY_- move the playhead to the next or previous cue.
SEQUENCE_+ and SEQUENCE_- move the playhead to the next or previous cue sequence.

you could also always create a set of network cues in QLab which do whatever you want, and then use MSC to trigger those cues by number.

Just got my SCS version.. came very fast after order.. Very solid feel. Just what the Dr ordered.. Nice firm button feel.. no accidental pushes.
The jump down a cue is johnny on the spot as are pause, resume and stop. The jump up button program response is slower but I think that's the program not the unit. Once the program plays a cue, it is released from active memory, and jumping back requires it to be re loaded, whereas the program anticipates and pre loads upcoming cues to ram.

I may have to play with the keyboard equivalent to prove it, as most of my "jump up" activity has been mouse based to date.

Just got my SCS version.. came very fast after order.. Very solid feel. Just what the Dr ordered.. Nice firm button feel.. no accidental pushes.
The jump down a cue is johnny on the spot as are pause, resume and stop. The jump up button program response is slower but I think that's the program not the unit. Once the program plays a cue, it is released from active memory, and jumping back requires it to be re loaded, whereas the program anticipates and pre loads upcoming cues to ram.

I may have to play with the keyboard equivalent to prove it, as most of my "jump up" activity has been mouse based to date.
Well, I'm in a rehearsal just now, in 4.7 on a Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM, and I just hit [UP][V] and there was no discernible delay to audio...

Hmmm. Thats weird, but I've spent very little time in SCS. I just fired the SCS firmware onto a box to test it and I'm not having those issues, I suspect its something with your setup... but I'm also just playing back random Mp3's to test. The box is just sending simple keyboard up arrow/down arrow commands no different then it would be on your regular keyboard.

Played with it some more last night. Watched screen very carefully. Buttons all working correctly, my rig backing up to previously played cue is just slow to load Button response is immediate..

There's the booth in all it's glory. Ion dual monitors, SCS on an HP all in one pc i5 with the wonderful controller buttons from Footer, and up in the corner the display showing the status of my mumble comms system on it's raspberry pi server. The controller button took the task of managing projections for Singin in the Rain down to a much smoother operation. Too easy to mis mouse, or hit a stray strike on the spacebar. The controller has a nice firm silver button.. no "light touch" accidental cues. The comms are rock solid and clear. A guy could get used to this. Or I could probably run a small country

IMG_7174.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered mine today through Amazon. Might take a bit for our business office to approve it then place the order, but I'll have it for when school starts at least. Ordered a dual, just qlab standard. Might get frisky and want to make one output as midi, but for now that will do.

Ordered mine today through Amazon. Might take a bit for our business office to approve it then place the order, but I'll have it for when school starts at least. Ordered a dual, just qlab standard. Might get frisky and want to make one output as midi, but for now that will do.
It went through, its already in the mailbox!

Yup, and I can also build it that way if you make a note. I've always been a rack to the right of the console person, so thats the way my brain things but not all people are that way. I don't wire these with such tight tolerances that you should be able to do it with all of them.... but no guarantees.
So just an update, I can no longer swap the direction of the USB ports. Its right hand only now. I moved from hand wiring them to a very slick custom PCB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back