After college

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
From CNN: New college grads to make less $$$ :
Students seeking liberal arts degrees may face the hardest blow. Their average initial pay offers are down 8.9% to $33,540, based on data collected from college career services offices.
I suspect most graduates with a fresh BA/BFA in Theatre would be thrilled to land a job paying $33,540 or more.

Last edited:
That number sounds a little high to me. But I've been out of the hunt for a while. Engineering is where it's at anyway...

BTW, the link seems to be broken.

how is the theatre job market anyhow?

i figure there will always be a job somewhere, people love to be entertained.

how is the theatre job market anyhow?

i figure there will always be a job somewhere, people love to be entertained.

Very, Very, crappy.

Take a look at artsearch and backstagejobs. This season I have seen less summerstock then I ever have. That means two things, people are not hiring as many people as usual and many people are not moving up in the ranks and staying with the job they have. Its not a good market right now. The biggest issue is that people are not leaving entry level jobs to move up so the entry level jobs are staying filled longer which will make it hard to break into the professional world for new graduates.

The PBS show Frontline had a very interesting program last night, FRONTLINE: college, inc. | PBS. While it doesn't speak directly to entertainment higher education, one can draw parallels.

I suspect most graduates with a fresh BA/BFA in Theatre would be thrilled to land a job paying $33,540 or more.

Yes, it took me several years out of college to make that kind of money. And that was considered good for the area. I had to move to Las Vegas to make better money than that and not everyone here makes that kind of money.

I was extremely lucky to land a job a few months out of college but one of the things I found while sending resume's and portfolios all over the country was that people who were more skilled and with more years in the business were laid off and willing to take those entry level jobs rather than have no job at all.

And people doing the hiring would compare a resume fresh out of college with a 5 or 10 year veteran and I'm sure not pass up the more experienced help.

I got one response form a TD at a regional theatre saying he expected to get maybe 25 applications for an opening and he received close to 300.

I've heard so much about artsearch and when I checked it out, there were so few jobs listed that I definitely couldn't justify spending the money to be able to use their site.

I've been out of college for a little over a year and it's been difficult. It didn't help that I've moved three times already though. I'm looking for work all over the country and hoping something comes up for the summer.

Sorry to hear that, littleowl. Due to the Internet, ArtSearch is no longer the power player it once was. Just in case you haven't, check out the sites listed at the end of the Collaborative Article Getting a Job in the Industry. If applicable, also check with your local IATSE office as well as any non-union labor providers in your area.

I have two degrees also. I'm hoping my first one with history is at least useful with theatre with my research skills at least. And having an interest in different periods which can hopefully be helpful.

An excellent article/blog. As a current BFA college student this is both very depressing and inspirational. Depressing in the sense that I have these very same struggles to look forward to, yet inspritation because there still are amazingly talented persons who are willing to sacrifice to do what they love. This leaves some very large shoes to fill as a future designer, or technician to stay in the business and continue to do what I love.

I can't wait.

Neither can I. I have 5 years left (including grad school), and its looking more and more like an abyss the more I look. Cant make money doing art, cant do art while taking the paying jobs... No one wants to pay any longer, and it sucks. Even in college, the gigs that I get are very limited on cash, and looking at local theaters who would before pay at least a bit for someone to run their board or help hang lights now hope a season ticket might suffice... At what point does it happen that there is no more small theatre? To me, its looking more and more like its going to turn into broadway or college for bigger productions, and then more educational programs for everything else. All I can see is "screwed" in the shiny lights.

boy I am glad I picked rock and roll instead of theatre!

Say that in 10 years when you are still traveling 300 days out of the year! The one advantage theatre has is there are more positions that are sedentary. I personally like being able to come home to my house with my things in it and be able to shower on a regular basis.

To each their own! :twisted:

Say that in 10 years when you are still traveling 300 days out of the year! The one advantage theatre has is there are more positions that are sedentary. I personally like being able to come home to my house with my things in it and be able to shower on a regular basis.

To each their own! :twisted:

There is no such thing as a creative position that is sedentary, well not if you have any big aspirations. Even those based in NYC have to travel for theatre.

And hopefully 10 years from now I will be a bit higher on the pecking order and possibly just a designer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back