Control/Dimming AHHHH!!! My second DMX universe just stopped working

MikeyHP

Ok.... I was plugging in my ML for my theater, and the Green light on the DMX wall connector turened off. I went to check the main input and the main power light was off. So I went to my Sensor racks, (we have 154 Dimmers for a 300 seat theatre + 40 for our black box) But I cant restart the second universe. It controls the ML array. OH... I went to the rack status page on my ETC Express 48/92 desk, and it said there was a ETC Link ERROR on rack 2 port B. Also, the next day when I turn the light board on, it said that there was and advisory for DMX 512 port B!!!! HELP HELP we have a dance show coming up and I need to use the DMX system, what can I do!!

Can you give a little more info? The data ports on your rack shouldn't have an impact on the second universe that you are running. If you have universe 1 and 2 both running into your rack then you are probably asking for issues. Racks really don't like to have conflicting data, plus you don't need two universes in your racks when you have fewer than 512 dimmers. However, have you tried resetting the CEMs? Have you tried running your data direct from the console? Have you checked to make sure that the second DMX universe hasn't been turned off in the settings of the console?

I did reset the CEM's but when I do, the advisory appears again. Actually, besides using the Express console, there is an auxarlliary / main input, for DMX. The DMX liighting can be controled through the board, or a seperate console. But right now there is now way to control the DMX system. The second universe is only for moving light / effects not dimmer control. I will post pics of my set up tommorw.

Ok.... I was plugging in my ML for my theater, and the Green light on the DMX wall connector turened off. I went to check the main input and the main power light was off.
There's a light on the wall jack for your 2nd DMX universe? Is this the jack you plug the ML into? Is this a DMX node of some sort, or possibly a splitter or isolator? Straight DMX runs don't have little green lights telling you they are good. The light is probably an indicator of some sort of active device, which has likely lost power...
If these are DMX nodes, they are likely getting their power over ethernet. There should be an ethernet switch or power injector somewhere that provides the power. That would be the first place to look.
If you have more details, it might be helpful in helping us solve your problem.
-Fred

Last edited:
Also you may want to check your ethernet if this is the case. CAT 5 tends to be a little fragile so watch out for kinks and strain on the connections. To isolate your problem you could even try bypassing the rack and going straight into an intelligent light.

MikeyHP,

I looked up your job information on file here so I could get a better idea as to how your system was designed and installed (ETC job number 106742).

The DMX input and output plate you refer to remind me of systems installed some time ago, and still manufactured by, Edwin Jones Company and their EN Networks division. These are active plates that are supplied power from usually a wall wart power supply somewhere in the system. I'm not sure if the fault you are seeing is due to a dead power supply or if a bad cable knocked out the wall plate which then took out the power supply (as an example).

I suggest you contact them directly for assistance as they are great people to work with. Their closest office to you is in Dallas at 214-369-2000.

David

Thanks David.

I did PM him my cell number to give me a call directly as I am familiar with his job.

Last edited:
Well... This system must be playing games with me.... After two weeks of being off, it magicly came back on! I dont know what hapened, but it seems to be working now. Also I think that this particular system runs through the racks, because the system advisory is gone now. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Can I make a suggestion? You should really find out why this is happening. Because you wouldn't want that to happen during the show.

You should absolutely have it checked out if nothing else. I pm'd you my cell phone number as I work for the manufacturer of that particular DMX Distribution system. Give me a call and we can talk about ways to check it out.

Jeff

Well, with some help from jmabray I discovered the cause of te DMX system malfuction. We have a Entertainment Networks DMX system. The signal processor is located in our stage managers panel thats back stage. It is powered by a power distrubtor of the top of the panel. I dident know this until jmabray contacted me. It turns out that the Theatre I class kids kept turnng the switch off thinking that they were saving power. I turned the switch back on, and it magicly works again. I will be making "DONT NOT TOUCH" sings for all of our back stage equipment now. I can just see the kids messing with our motorized batton system.

Thanks again for all of yu help,

MikeyHP

MikeyHP,

I looked up your job information on file here so I could get a better idea as to how your system was designed and installed (ETC job number 106742).

David

Anyone else think this is slightly creepy? Cool, nice, wonderful, yet slightly creepy. ;)

Anyone else think this is slightly creepy? Cool, nice, wonderful, yet slightly creepy. ;)
I don't think it's creepy at all; just going that extra mile to provide exceptional customer service. By the way, your car needs washing and you should have eaten a better dinner. Good luck on that test tomorrow.:twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back