Airline Cable

justgina

Hey all. How difficult is it to manipulate 1/4" airline cable, and what tools will I need? I've never worked with it before.

Last edited:
You're going to have a hard time getting advice for hanging stuff over people's heads if you've never done it before. Its not the best idea to trust internet advice when life safety comes into play... I'd encourage you to contact a pro in your area to help rig this. There may be a CB member who is near you who can chime in here and suggest local resources.

Thanks for the reminder, sincerely. I have hung stuff overhead before. I've just never used airline cable. That's what my real question is.

Not trying to insulting, but I suspect you are referring to aircraft cable, or galvanized aircraft cable - GAC as it is commonly referred to. Its difficult to not have some reticence about this. Learning to work with GAC really requires observing and learning from an experienced person. They are not skills you can learn form written and video instructions IMHO.

You need some pricey tools and if you are doing much, some really pricey tools.

You might visit a rigging company's shop and chat.

Keep in mind theatre rigging is somewhat different from elevators and cranes and such, so I encourage you to find theatre riggers. For you that probably means Houston. I know you could find folks at Alley Theatre who are qualified - not sure they have the time. Not an easy skill set to find training on. I was trained in grad school. I suspect most qualified folks were trained on the job.

I'm not insulted at all. This is the information I'm looking for. I have never worked with GAC other than as lighting safety cable. That's why I came to you all. I know the hive mind here could give me better guidance.

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated!

There are lots of rigging companies in your area. Mainly for oilfield work I suspect. You can look for an equipment provider or call one of these companies to have them make what you want. After they make it, it's up to you to be safe. 1/4" AC cable sounds like you are doing what might be some heavy work for a novice. Texas Stage is in your area. They might get the gear for you and offer some education. http://texasstage.com/

I'm not insulted at all. This is the information I'm looking for. I have never worked with GAC other than as lighting safety cable. That's why I came to you all. I know the hive mind here could give me better guidance.

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated!

6 years in your space and you haven’t worked with hanging stuff?? You made it pretty far lol. Call in a company watch them do it and ask lots of questions. Nobody here will give you any other advice because of the dangers it brings with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back