Aisle Lighting

Track lighting might work if I can find something that can be pretty narrowly aimed from 25' above the floor. For the initial shows, I'm curious about some rechargable lights to clip on the chairs. The 3D printed clips would take some design but might make it easier in the long run. I'd like to find those little panel nightlights that I could run off a battery. The emergency lighting will kick in if we lose power, so these would be irrelevant.
ETC has track versions of the Source 4 mini available, which might be a reasonable option with their shutters, etc.

That's a great looking space! Some short track hidden behind every beam (or every other?) could give you a nice invisible place to light aisles from, and give you a high enough angle that they aren't blinding anyone walking up and down.

Unfortunately, those beams are false. They're hiding some rods with turnbuckles attached to the walls. It's basically 1-by creating a trough. The supports on the wall are sturdy, but the spans are decorative. I'm investigating if we can just drill through to get power run by dropping down from the ceiling (also false) and into the trough. It's just a fairly high point (about 20' from beam to floor) to put a light and expect it to illuminate exactly what you want. The walls are solid plaster and metal lath, then brick, then stone, so not punching through those anytime soon.

Par20 spots are about 10 degree beams. Simple can heads can be found for well under $20ea. Track and installation are the bigger costs, but still reasonable.

Put in lots of track, wall to wall! Buy heads as needed. Break up the circuits as budget allows.

Par20 spots are about 10 degree beams. Simple can heads can be found for well under $20ea. Track and installation are the bigger costs, but still reasonable.

Put in lots of track, wall to wall! Buy heads as needed. Break up the circuits as budget allows.
@ACTSTech Some manufacturers offer 2 &/or 4 circuit track (and accessory track selectors) to facilitate extra circuits for extra current &/or independent control / different switches / different dimmers.
Check with a structural PENG, most track is fairly light, as are some fixtures. Short fixtures, not extending appreciably from the track(s) would add minimal leverage / extraction tension and keep gravitational forces in shear rather than pull out.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I've mounted track on the side of fake beams made from 1x wood. It works well with small light fixtures such as you need. Frankly it's more likely to strengthen light structures than overload them.
Multi circuit track can be quite a bit more expensive, but breaking up the wiring of long runs is a cheap alternative. Some track allows for wires on the backside! There are many creative accessories to solve a huge range of issues.

Halo, Juno, Lightolier are the big names. Lithonia, Hubbell and all the giant manufactures make good stuff too. Lighting Services Inc. is used in most museums and art galleries, great but expensive.
Here's a more complete listing: www.lightsearch.com

OK first test of concept model. The plug block will be deeper of course, but first testing tolerances and printing thin for speed.
I gave my design brief to my autistic son. Instead of an all in one, he designed a unit capable of having different clips for
non standard chair leg diameters, a friction fit "bearing" so you can adjust the aim of the light. First iteration done in one evening instead of playing minecraft.

Keep in mind the plug block will be deeper.. shallow is just to save test print time. Really proud of what he came up with. If anyone wants these once the design is tested and refined, I'm sure we could provide at minimal cost. Materials cost will be about 20 grams of plastic .. probably 25 cents in materials.

clip1.JPG
clip2.JPG
clip3.JPG
clip4.JPG

You really shouldn't publish those, some mega corp will end up stealing the design and selling them for a fortune. They look great!

So my chairs are square, how would that change the design? master NPS001.jpg

In all seriousness, the kid can design a square clip in about 5 minutes. Eurojack I'd have to dig out my converter I bought to match.
Did you see the diffusion holders he did for me for my blizzard toughstick lights. They worked really slick. Which brings up a question for the powers that be... What are the rules for "cottage" industry here. If I were to offer his design services to solve nagging little problems that we all have with our equipment?

Just asking for a follow-up from the OP about how they resolved this.

Just asking for a follow-up from the OP about how they resolved this.
Still working through everything. Due to lack of volunteers and pushback from the local government, we're still about 9 months away from opening. The fire marshal won't even consider looking at any drawings, he'll only approve things after they're done, so we're brainstorming. There's nothing in local code so we're at the point where we're not going to worry much about it, there's too much else to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back