Aisle Lights

Fascinating revived thread. Both NFPA 101 The Life Safety Code and the International Building Code - which are widely adopted model codes in the USA - require aisle lighting in assembly occupancies - 1 fc except it can be reduced to 0.2 for performing arts and cinema auditoria. While I spend a lot of effort to make sure the rooms I work on and design aisle lighting for comply with the code, its quite certain that most do not. We also spend a lot of time getting the light on the floor and not on the stage, so never step lights recessed in the risers. Too many people trip and fall and are injured using aisle stairs and it's simply unacceptable to not provide sufficient illumination for egress.

In terms of the floor finish being dark, I'll note both codes require "A contrasting marking stripe shall be provided on each tread at the nosing or leading edge so that the location of such tread is readily apparent, particularly when viewed in descent."

And the Life Safety Code requires the aisle lighting and the contrasting stripe in new and existing - no grandfathering on that one.

It's risky to accept something is permitted because you have seen elsewhere it or because you have not been cited for it previously.

(And if you do trip and fall and are injured in an aisle, have your lawyer give me a call.)

In terms of the floor finish being dark, I'll note both codes require "A contrasting marking stripe shall be provided on each tread at the nosing or leading edge so that the location of such tread is readily apparent, particularly when viewed in descent."

And the Life Safety Code requires the aisle lighting and the contrasting stripe in new and existing - no grandfathering on that one.

Yes, the contrasting edges on steps is another are the is lacking in most facilities (both backstage and in the public areas). This is also required in the US ADA. All too often people perceive the ADA to be about wheelchair bound persons, and noting could be further from the truth. People of all ages and ambulatory abilities are affected by unmarked obsticles in their path of travel. The US ADA also defines the permissible limits of the radius of the edge if the step, which is also frequently significantly out of compliance, particularly with carpeted steps.

The combination of low/no contrasting color at step edges, large radius edges, inadequate illumination, and low traction (slippery edges) can create the 'perfect storm' for guests, artists, and workers to take a tumble. This applies to temporary construction, too, as the persons are particularly unfamiliar with the travel path (how many times have you seen a black staircase on the back-side of a set with nothing but a 1/4" x 3/4" tag of cheap glow tape stapled to it for a visual reference?).

I agree with Bill, all the cases I've provided expert witness services for have resulted in an award to the injured party. It's an indefensible position the building owner is in when an accident of this type occurs. A small investment in getting stairs up-to-code is much better than the legal expenses that might arise from doing nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back