Akai APC mini with ION?

Hello! I run my rig off of the Nomad using the Ion primarily. I am looking to expand my possibilities for live control (busking) and have been looking for some midi control inputs. The APC mini seems to be a great value for cost but I am wondering if any of you have experience with using one (or the apc40 etc...) with the Ion on pc. If so, what was your experience? Does it facilitate live control, or just complicates things?

I understand these work but you will need an in between program like luminos that does a conversion to OSC messages that Nomad can understand. Lots of people on the Nomad users Facebook page use this however I do not.
Regards
Geoff

I haven't used the gateways, so I'm asking the question "does the gateway convert midi to OSC, like luminosus does?".

I've experimented with a Korg nanoKontroller as a fader "wing" on a nomad and I think it would be usable on a small show. I was able to map the faders and the buttons to match the faders, flash buttons and group sub buttons on a console, and map the "tape transport" buttons as go, stop/back and so on. It just worked, once the mappings were set up.

There are other controllers I've seen used which offer rotary encoders and more buttons - these are useful for moving light encoders and direct select panels.

The korg units are so cheap, it's almost a no brainer to just get one and try it to see how you get on.

The gateways so not convert the MIDI to OSC, and in this case would likely not be helpful. Thr Gateways are great for getting. MIDI onto a network for multiple receivers to see, but they don't convert the signal to OSC.

Luminous is a great way to use a MIDI controller with Eos as it does the OSC conversion.

I'm currently running my Zero88 FLX from a Midi Novation Launchpad with Lightjams providing the software. I made a simple short video for this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This may be of interest to people reading this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back