Akg Wireless Mics

adamday

I have two Akg sr 81 transmitters and recievers that have been giving me some trouble. Whenever a person talks into the mic, the signal gets fuzzy, but when they are not talking they are silent. I have tried adjusting the gain settings and also the frequencies but none of those seemed to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Evaluate how much 3 months use is worth to you before you get the units serviced.

SR 81
Carrier frequency range - 710 to 865 MHz

Last edited:
If you don't want to toss them in the trash quite yet, I've had a similar issue and the AKG techs say that the receiver is having a hard time reading the signal ... kinda like when you're driving on the freeway away from a radio station and it starts to fuzz out of range.

So, check the distance and line-of-sight between the transmitter and receiver:
* If the distance is > 30 feet, try a little closer and see if the problem goes away.
* If the receiver antennas do not have a clear line of site of the stage, move them.
* try keeping the antenna away from skin (which can ground some of the RF signal
* have the actor hold the Tx in front of them so you have a direct line of sight between Tx and Rx.

Also try different channels.

It's also possible that the Tx has salt vapor residue on it which is weakining the electronics. If none of the above help much (other than bringing the Tx really close to the Rx) then try opening up the Tx to see if the PC board has white residue on it. If so, you might try cleaning it off with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol (see internet sites re: salvaging a cell phone from water damage -- same idea).

If all that fails, then it's possible the units are out of calibration -- in which case it's probably not worth sending it into a shop to get them recalibrated ($100+/unit?)

-- John

I'm going with John on this. I'm not terribly familiar with AKG's like, but these are good, solid troubleshooting steps. The problem at the moment is definitely NOT due to the fact that the mics operate at 700 MHz.

That said - if you are in the US, you will need to replace these mics by February 17, 2009. See the Wireless FAQ for more information on why you'll need to do this.

I'm going with John on this. I'm not terribly familiar with AKG's like, but these are good, solid troubleshooting steps. The problem at the moment is definitely NOT due to the fact that the mics operate at 700 MHz.

That said - if you are in the US, you will need to replace these mics by February 17, 2009. See the Wireless FAQ for more information on why you'll need to do this.

The high school where I light shows has a set of AKG SR81s. They suck big time, at distances less than 30 feet even. Non-detachable receiver antennas, desense issues, and marginal performance at best. Throw them away.

I also delivered them the February 17, 2009 news, and noted how fortuitous it was that they were doing their musical this year in the fall rather than in the conventional spring slot. That gives them a full year to pick up replacements: I'm pushing for, pending the R&O, Senn G2s with MKE2s.

The high school where I light shows has a set of AKG SR81s. They suck big time, at distances less than 30 feet even. Non-detachable receiver antennas, desense issues, and marginal performance at best. Throw them away.

I also delivered them the February 17, 2009 news, and noted how fortuitous it was that they were doing their musical this year in the fall rather than in the conventional spring slot. That gives them a full year to pick up replacements: I'm pushing for, pending the R&O, Senn G2s with MKE2s.

Sounds like a solid choice to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back