Alec Baldwin involved in accidental shooting death on set of "Rust"

New report in says that the gun was tested and could not Accidentally fire without pulling the trigger as Baldwin claimed happened.

I can't stand it when people don't fess up to their mistakes. Was it an accidental shooting? I believe so. Was it preventable through common practice? Absolutely. Should there be consequences? Without a doubt. Lying just makes it worse and is shameful.

I can't stand it when people don't fess up to their mistakes. Was it an accidental shooting? I believe so. Was it preventable through common practice? Absolutely. Should there be consequences? Without a doubt. Lying just makes it worse and is shameful.
I think it's hard to prove it's lying. If you are an actor and don't believe the gun could possibly fire a live round and suddenly it does there could a fair bit of initial trauma that messes with your memory of what happened. "I didn't intend to kill that person" could morph into "I didn't pull the trigger" when you re-sort your mental rolodex of how things transpired.

It's also entirely possible he did lie, but I could just as easily see someone in his position 2nd and 3rd-guessing what they thought transpired and it's definitely more psychologically challenging to process that you were just at fault for unintentionally killing someone.

Sure that is possible. Most people are apt to make something up to evade consequences. If everyone was completely honest, our justice system would be a lot different.

I didn't buy "I didn't pull the trigger" as guns really don't just randomly go off. At the same time, I have a hard time calling him a liar. Given the faulty nature of human memory, there's a good chance he either does not remember what happened or his brain sort of rewrote that memory for his own mental protection.

All of that said, I don't blame Baldwin the actor for what happened. He was trusting the proven safety system to work. However Baldwin the producer should have been aware about all of the issues we have read about with the budget, the track record of the AD on safety, the overworked props staff, and the inexperienced armorer. For those reasons, I do believe he should be held accountable.

Settled as Alec Baldwin, PRODUCER. An essential happening in order to either finish Rust or close the books on it.

Yeah. I'm not very comfortable with this. The family of Hilayna Hutchins have settled their lawsuit, her Husband is now a producer on the film, the director who also was shot is back on the project, and they are trying to pull everyone back in to finish shooting the film in January. I'm happy that the family is satisfied with the results, but to me it feels dirty. Like they are just turning a tragedy into a money maker. I won't be paying to see it.

I can't imagine the tension walking onto that site. No matter what the family/husband say about being comfortable with the outcome and with production moving forward, it has got to feel awful being there. I HOPE that they'll take it slow and right after this.

Yeah. I'm not very comfortable with this. The family of Hilayna Hutchins have settled their lawsuit, her Husband is now a producer on the film, the director who also was shot is back on the project, and they are trying to pull everyone back in to finish shooting the film in January. I'm happy that the family is satisfied with the results, but to me it feels dirty. Like they are just turning a tragedy into a money maker. I won't be paying to see it.
Working theory I've heard is that by making her husband a producer he can pick up the royalties and assuming the movie actually makes any money, he may have some degree of income over time from the movie. Not sure how that will all actually play out but it seems like there's some Hollywood accounting going on here.

Working theory I've heard is that by making her husband a producer he can pick up the royalties and assuming the movie actually makes any money, he may have some degree of income over time from the movie. Not sure how that will all actually play out but it seems like there's some Hollywood accounting going on here.
This was my interpretation as well. I have to imagine there is some kind of profit-sharing agreement in place.

Looks like he will have his day in court to clear his name.
I have a really hard time with charging Alec Baldwin the actor with a crime. The armorer yes. 1st Ad (who took a plea deal) yes. Alec Baldwin the producer (and other producers) for not creating a safe work environment and not being sure all safety protocols are followed strictly, absolutely. But the actor is supposed to count on the others for the safety of the weapon. We really do not want to trust actors with gun safety too.

The press is obviously spinning it as the actor Alec Baldwin but I do wonder if the court filings are separating the actor from the producer. In reality he's the same person but it does make sense to sperate the roles he played to limit the liability of actors but still to make sure the producers step up when needed.

Haven't seen the filings but have to imagine this is more about Baldwin the producer, not Baldwin the actor. Also worth noting that the armorer is getting charged too.

There is a 551-page report from the investigation which is...uhhhh....interesting, when you look at some of the text message descriptions. I don't have the patience or curiosity to dig any deeper than I have but here are some of the interesting snippets I saw as I was flipping through it. Probably nothing can be taken at face value though given these are just messages between people and lord only knows what's true and what isn't.

1674152085943.png

1674152311412.png

1674152455899.png

I have a really hard time with charging Alec Baldwin the actor with a crime. The armorer yes. 1st Ad (who took a plea deal) yes. Alec Baldwin the producer (and other producers) for not creating a safe work environment and not being sure all safety protocols are followed strictly, absolutely. But the actor is supposed to count on the others for the safety of the weapon. We really do not want to trust actors with gun safety too.
I agree with you 100% on your statement “We really do not want to trust actors with gun safety too.” As a producer though, different story. As for Hannah Reed, I feel that, due to her age and inexperience, she is also a victim in this incident. HOWEVER, that said, I still believe charges are warented. I also believe the entire production team should be charged with criminal negligence for hiring her as the head armorer with her lack of experience. They should also be cited for “allowing” her (forcing her) to take on other duties on other crews in direct conflict with her duties as the armorer.

IAs for Hannah Reed, I feel that, due to her age and inexperience, she is also a victim in this incident. HOWEVER, that said, I still believe charges are warented. I also believe the entire production team should be charged with criminal negligence for hiring her as the head armorer with her lack of experience. They should also be cited for “allowing” her (forcing her) to take on other duties on other crews in direct conflict with her duties as the armorer.
You are so right @MPowers! Hannah was either in a position where she didn't feel she could say no or too inexperienced to know better. Either way it's the producer's fault for putting her in that position which comes down to lack of a proper budget and support for a safe set from the top down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back