aligning follow spot sight - iris and dimmer at the same time.

Hey there, I've two question when I'm follow spotting.
So when I align my sight (I have the Telrad one and another hand made) when I align it perfectly to DS for example it is not the same way up stage. Does this happen to you?? How do you usually align it? Center Stage I guess... ?

The other one... I'm operating a RJ Aramis which has dimmer and iris so separated. So when I have to dim at the same time I change Iris is almost imposible for me - maybe my hands are not in the correct place.
How do you hold the follow spot in order to be more efficient?

Thank you!

Not sure why you are having an issue with your sights. there might be a small difference between your ds and us focus points , but without knowing more about your situation it is hard to comment.
As for the Aramis, you have a few options for dimming. Dim with your right hand. There should be a handle support located to the nose side of the dimmer knob. depending on the size of your hand you can place that support between your pinky and ring finger, rest your palm on the handle and dim with your index finger and thumb. If it is a DMX fixture, then that will not work. If it is a DMX model, you will need to control pan and tilt by the handle until you need to dim and then move your hand up to control the fader. I would suggest seeing if you can get a remote dimmer to mount to the handle, then you can place it near your right hand on the handle. You should be able to control pan and tilt with your left hand by the iris handle, but only slightly. I have seen where someone built an wrist rest and mounted it at the handle support under the iris. this allowed the operator to rest their arm and operate the iris, as well as give them pan and tilt control with their left arm.

Hey there, I've two question when I'm follow spotting.
So when I align my sight (I have the Telrad one and another hand made) when I align it perfectly to DS for example it is not the same way up stage. Does this happen to you?? How do you usually align it? Center Stage I guess... ?

This is normal and a result of parallax. You either want to align to where the performer(s) will most often be picked up (if known), or align it at center as you suggested. If aligned at center, then it will probably still be a little off at both extremes of US and DS, but by a smaller amount than if you aligned either US or DS.

I’d align as where it’ll be in tight head shot. That needs to be dead on accurate, a full body has some wiggle room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back