All-in-one headset?

krhodus

Our broadcast and video department has a ton of Telex gear that they will just give to us if we can find them a smiple replacement headset system. The only problem is the teacher wants the system to be wireless and totally contained in the headset (no beltpack, or radio, or anything). The system is used so the floor manager, camereas, and director all can talk back and forth in between the set and the control room (which are less that 30' away from each other). I've looked for a system but have found nothing. Does anyone know of something that will work? It can even just be a simple simplex system because there is never 2 people talking at once.

Thanks,
Kevin

Less than 30' away from each other? Just use FRS/GMRS radios. If they don't want that, then good luck finding anything that doesn't have a pack. Probably the best you'll find is a headset where the pack mounts on the headset, like our FRS radios. Reason being, who wants to wear all that weight on top of their head? Also, if you wear it on the side of the headset, it will hurt one side of your head and possibly your neck. But if you wear it directly on top of your head, if you lean over just a little bit, the whole headset will want to fall off.

We have a brand new Telex Radiocom BTR-700 system, but we don't use it. Why? There's only 4 packs. I have 6 high-quality FRS radios with headsets I can use, and they're a lot cheaper than our Telex packs and they don't require a base station.

Last edited:
Would you like to mail me the BTR-700? I'll pay for shipping.

Eartec TD-900. Self-contained, simple, and compact. www.eartec.com

MHSTech said:
Less than 30' away from each other? Just use FRS/GMRS radios. If they don't want that, then good luck finding anything that doesn't have a pack. Probably the best you'll find is a headset where the pack mounts on the headset, like our FRS radios. Reason being, who wants to wear all that weight on top of their head? Also, if you wear it on the side of the headset, it will hurt one side of your head and possibly your neck. But if you wear it directly on top of your head, if you lean over just a little bit, the whole headset will want to fall off.

We have a brand new Telex Radiocom BTR-700 system, but we don't use it. Why? There's only 4 packs. I have 6 high-quality FRS radios with headsets I can use, and they're a lot cheaper than our Telex packs and they don't require a base station.

I recall that there was some discussion on FRS / GMRS radios in the past, on whether or not they were legal to use in a school. I believe that your FCC has some rules on it. I am not sure, heck, I'm on the other side of the world. One of the topics is http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2288. DO a search for "GMRS in these forums for other topics. I seem to recall that the general consensus was that it was illegal.

Honestly, i wouldnt try getting away from belt packs.. The systems are expensive enough, let alone something ike that. And besides...think about how beastly that would have to be to put everything on your head for long periods of time?

Where could one buy a system of this kind? My school has a very old Telex 4-pin system, and the beltpacks (if they ever existed) have disappeared. The voice quality is quite good, but it's too quiet to hear, especially during the setup process of a show; so I am looking for a replacement system. There are only three stations (There might have been more at one point, but there are only three to be found now), so I don't think that it should be too hard to replace. Any recommendations or ideas of where I could purchase a replacement?

Chris15 said:
DO a search for "GMRS in these forums for other topics. I seem to recall that the general consensus was that it was illegal.

I think was actually my concept of building an FRS repeater.

Chris15 said:
I recall that there was some discussion on FRS / GMRS radios in the past, on whether or not they were legal to use in a school. I believe that your FCC has some rules on it. I am not sure, heck, I'm on the other side of the world. One of the topics is http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2288. DO a search for "GMRS in these forums for other topics. I seem to recall that the general consensus was that it was illegal.
Yeah, GMRS radios are illegal, without a license. You can own a FRS/GMRS radio just as long as you don't use the GMRS channels (15-22). You can use the FRS radios no problem though. The whole idea behind FRS radios was for the FCC to reserve a certain band where there could be free, unrestricted radio communication.

It's getting into more expensive systems, but HME recently came out with a self-contained headset to go with the DX200 base station. I can't find it on their website, but I know that reps are doing demos (some of our salesguys at the shop got a demo a week or so ago), and you can see it in HME's current ads in all the trade mags.

UPDATE: It's the WH200 ComLink, and is compatible with both the DX100 (portable) and DX200 (rackmount) base.

--A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back