Mixers/Consoles Allen and Heath QU32

NikolasR

Hello,

My high school is planning to purchase a new mixer, as our current one is over 10 years old, and isn't performing that well. We saw the Allen and Heath QU32, and it was in our price range. Is it a good choice for the price, or is there anything we can get better that has 32 channels and is digital under $4,000?

The Behringer X32 is very popular, and comes with an ecosystem of stage equipment, personal monitoring system, etc.

The QU-32 is a great board with a lot of wonderful features at a great pricepoint. We have one in our space, and I personally own a QU-16. Just like the Behringer / Midas line, it too comes with its own line of stage boxes and personal monitoring systems. Before we can really answer your question, we would need to know what your exact needs are.

That being said, the Allen and Heath QU series has a really great layout that is an easy transition for someone coming from the analogue world. It is easy to train students and voulenteer staff on, compared to some other boards that require more paging and screens. The Soundcraft, Behringer X32 / Midas M32, and Allen and Heath QU lines are all very similar products that sound good, and have many great options. The real difference is found in how each model fits your particular needs (or anticipated future needs).

~Dave

Last edited:
Our theatre mostly accommodates to school plays, not very complex sound design. Just 3 floor mics and 16 or so wireless mics. We rarely go above that with inputs. We also do less complex things such as a ballet performance, which only requires one mic, and aux for the songs which are played through a computer. We have been looking mostly at the qu32 to be able to program the show easily, instead of always having to manually turn of channels or unmuting them and we often forget to unmute a channel during a show. In the future we will be adding much more mics, such as hanging mics and adding the orchestra as well. So I think that the 32 channels and expandable stage boxes are a good choice. One question, how do we hook up the stage boxes? Are there wireless options or only through the cable?

Thanks,
Nik

The stage boxes simply hook up to any QU series board with a network cable. A Network cable that is very durable with locking Ethercon connectors should definitely be used. An additional box can be connected to the first for expansion up to 32 total channels. You can choose the local input source on the back of the board or remote stage box in on each channel. Wireless options are not really available, but network cable in conduit is cheap to install. I always recommend installing an extra run of cable as a back up or for future expansion. You can even purchase long network cables up to about 300' to use in temporary set ups or touring shows if install in not an option. Much easier to run through an auditorium than a 32x16 analogue snake!

2 items you list stand out to me. The ability to store scenes for recall, and the anticipated addition of mics in the future. The QU32 is limited to 32 mic channels. There are other boards out there with more capacity available. If you think you will never excede 32 mic inputs for a show, that should be ok. The board also has a total of 100 scenes it can hold for recall. If you think you will really be programming more, then you need to find another board. Most people find that they uses scenes for the parts of the show when large groups of actors come on or off at once, not to automate every mic on and off. In this case 100 cues is enough typically.

One question, how do we hook up the stage boxes? Are there wireless options or only through the cable?

For a number of technical reasons around bandwidth and latency, wireless mutlicores are not currently viable, so you'll be stuck with copper (or fibre if you need it, I doubt in your use case you will)...

Okay, thank you both for your opinions. I think I will go with the qu32. We will probably get an expansion stage box for when we have an orchestra, most likely it will be a line setup for each show running under the audience since it is hollow. Do you recommend any good stage boxes that have about 8 inputs? Also is using stage floor mics around the orchestra a good way to amplify them? I don't think we can afford buying a little mic for each instrument. (Guitars will have their own amps)

Thanks,
Nik

You only have 3 choices of stage boxes, the AR84 8 channel in 4 out box, the AR2412 24 channel in 12 out box, or the AB168 16x8 box. You can only use a max of 2 168's, or a 2412 with the AR84 expander. Of course you can start with any 1 box plus the local inputs on the back of the board. At most there are a few hundred dollars difference between the cheapest one and most expensive one. I'd suggest starting with the 2412 or 168 instead of the 8 channel box. You gain much more flexibility for just a little more money.

Using boundary mics around the orchestra in a traditional pit could be one way to provide reinforcement. So many variables concerning your venue and acoustics come into play that is is difficult to comment on with out much more info. Probably worth searching the forums here first. Lots of into in the archives.

You are welcome. If you decide to go that route, do not hesitate to PM me here if you have any questions. Also, don't hesitate to contact an Allen and Heath dealer for pricing on a complete package. They should be able to come in at a price below the big box internet sound stores here on the web. Also, dont forget to include things like a dust cover for the mixer, a case for the mixer (if needed), a rack for the stage boxes (if needed). These items go a long way in protecting your investment. You will also want to get a USB flash drive, and think about potentially investing in a wireless router and tablet to be able to take advantage of the free remote app the board can run on. This is great for setting stage monitor levels while on stage next to a musician, and for walking the auditorium to be able to adjust sound during a rehearsal instead of running back and forth to the board.

~Dave

Last edited:
Love my A&H Qu32. Excellent digital mixer. Has everything I need for the work I do, including theatrical work.

I do really like the QU consoles, I use the QU32 semi often (Use the GLD80 far, far more) and really like it a lot. Personally I love the iPad app and think a router and iPad are a MUST have for this console to really shine.
Does everything you need, and does it well. I've never had a problem with it either.

A USB flash drive is needed to do a whole "show" save, while scenes can be saved to the console.

It seems A & H just recently did a price drop, the QU32 is now under $3000 MAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back