Mixers/Consoles Allen & Heath GL3800-M-8-40A

pelaro

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing one of these for my 440 seat, proscenium stage w/apron, 20 line-set auditorium. My budget is no more than $9,999.00. I've used mostly all Mackies in the past (16, 24 and 40 channel boards). I use a mixer this large about 4 times a year.

Is this a good mixer? (sound quality and reliability)

I've heard there have been some power supply issues with A&H boards. But A&H and their reps are saying that is a thing of the past. I'm tending to believe them.

Anybody have any opinions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :)

PR

Last edited:
We bought a lower end GL2400 with the completion of our new Black Box theatre and it works very well. The only issues that we have had with it are sliders coming off at odd times. But being easily fixable and not worth sending back we decided to live with it. Although, I would wait for others to post their recommendations as well.

Check out the APB ProDesk. I'm not sure if it's out yet- they were having some problems with manufacturing delays.

I've used the the ProRack (same thing but rackmounted), and it was really, really great. Like a small version of our Soundcraft MH3.

I've also used a GL board and it was good- I'd recommend it, but it didn't wow me like the APB.

The only Pro Desk models currently available are 4 bus, and it looks like the OP was looking at an 8.
Yep... definitely need 8 bus.

I agree. I would recommend the LS9-32 over the A&H in this case. You could even come in under budget, depending on what cards you get for it.

~Dave

If you are a school application, I would reccomend investigating the digital option. As in previous posts the LS9 product has become a very popular install for school, church applications. Lots of reasons to go digital, search some of the archives and see the discussions. The most important aspect of all the discussion is to know and understand the intended use of your house. Might be great to come in under budget, however it sucks to say "we should have gotten a desk with more inputs/outputs" a year from now. But you can also balance that against the extra money purchases more input devices.. i.e. wireless mics, choir mics, vocal mics etc.

I'll make the same comments I often do when people seem to be comparing based solely on price. You might want to start by looking at what you actually physically need as far as inputs, outputs and the space available for the console. Then look at your functional requirements, do you need a certain number of groups or a certain quantity and mix of pre and post aux sends or VCAs/DCAs or LCR/Stereo and Mono outputs or direct outputs for each channel or any of a number of other specific capabilities? The idea is that it doesn't matter how nice the mixer is or what it costs if it doesn't physically or functionally work for you, so you probably want to confirm that first.

I agree with Hugh, in an educational application it might make sense to make the move to a digital console now. However, if it is a community or public theatre type application, then analog may still be a good choice.

You may also want to look at A&H's new digital iLive-T console as early comments regarding the list price seem to put it right in the range of the Yamaha LS9-32.

Yes. I agree with satisfying what you need first. Heck yes.

On a side note, when I designed the new sound system for my high school, they didnt like the fact that I wanted a digital board. They used some lame excuse like "No other schools have digital, so we're gonna stay analog". Ridiculous, I think... But digital is a good way to go, I think.

Also, if the allen and heath ilive t series console is comparable in price to that of the LS9, GO FOR IT!!! (though I have no idea how much the A&H digital one costs...) It almost seems like allen and heath has taken the M7CL and the LS9, put them together, and took it one step further. Seems like an epic win.

Pardon the sidetrack.

Phil

Check out the APB ProDesk. I'm not sure if it's out yet- they were having some problems with manufacturing delays.

I've used the the ProRack (same thing but rackmounted), and it was really, really great. Like a small version of our Soundcraft MH3.

I've also used a GL board and it was good- I'd recommend it, but it didn't wow me like the APB.

APB makes great products, and I highly recommend them. Since they haven't released an 8 Bus ProDesk, I'd take a look at the Spectra C series. They're a bit higher in cost, and I'm not sure that they fit in your budget, but it's worth getting a quote. Alternatively, when thinking digital, the LS9, with an extra input card, comes to mind.

My theatre has two LS9's (16, 32), but I haven't gotten to use them extensively yet. The only potential problem I see with them right now is that there are no line inputs on it, solely xlr inputs.

Just a heads up.
Ummm, those are mic or line inputs and can be used for either. XLR is simply a connector type, it does not relate just to one signal level. Sounds like all you may need is some adapters.

I like mixing on A&H consoles. However the LS9-32 would be my choice. It offers a lot more capability, yet is easy to use. The small footprint is a nice bonus, as is the ability to expand it to 64 if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back