Alright.... I'll bite ETC....

Pie4Weebl

Fight Leukemia
What's this "4WRD Thinking" add all about?

You guys make an LED HPL lamp or somethin?

I haven't see the ad, but:

$599
DMX controllable, or controlled through a dimmer
RJ45
Equivalent to a 575x
Direct replacement for the cap - no other changes necessary
Only for the S4. Not the S4 PAR.

I was hoping for a wireless desk that jacked into any system, straight plug and play. Supplied with its own transmitter. On a frequency that doesn't interrupt.

Hopes and dreams though.

Didn't SteveTerry post a little while ago about hiring new people for a moving light division?

Didn't SteveTerry post a little while ago about hiring new people for a moving light division?

He did. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the Dev Team.

Of all the things we need, are more moving lights one of them? Hopefully the're unique if this is the case.

Of all the things we need, are more moving lights one of them? Hopefully the're unique if this is the case.

As long as it says ETC on the box people will line up in droves to buy them. Doesn't matter if it's unique, or even inferior to other products out there on the market.

In my opinion, ETC does LED color better then anyone else. Thus I'd love to have a zoomable Desire D60 as a moving head. If you don't need the eye candy look of an Aura or GLP or the like, it would be a killer unit.

And perhaps there's a reason for that behavior, if true?

ST

I'm not saying ETC doesn't make some great products. The blind loyalty that I see a lot of people exhibit towards them does bother me though. I've met to many people that think if ETC made it then it must be the best and don't even look at other competing products. That bothers me.

Clarify what you mean by "does LED color better"? Redder reds and bluer blues or more quartz like whites and better paler color media matches?

On the occasions we've had shows bringing in GLP or Robe's, I've gotten to play a bit with what the color engine can produce. Plus I use Aura's extensively. Nothing I've yet seen matches the spectrum of color I've seen out of a Lustre 2 engine. Even a ColorSource Par does tints and white better then my Aura's, even though the CS cannot produce deeper blues and violets, as can what I call a R&R LED. Note this is far from an exhaustive test of any kind, just a very subjective opinion.

Thus when somebody asks me "what's next for ETC" I usually reply that I'd love to see a Desire D60 in the size of an Aura, moving and zooming like an Aura, which is otherwise the benchmark for that sized fixture, of that era (it's 5 or so years old now ?). In a theatrical venue, the color a D60 (or Lustre 2) can put out makes matching to an incandescent rig easier, thus it would be my choice.

And as to a love affair with ETC ?, I recently spec'd a grant for Color Force 72's for our Cyc, liking the punch and Cyc optics. I'd be happy with Vivid R's as well, but the pricing on the CF might make the grant easier to obtain. Thus I always consider options.

I assume everyone who worked on the revolution had to find other work, like working on something with a lot more potential, like the relaunch of BetaMax, or the long awaited 2nd season of the XFL.

As far as I know... they are still looking to build a team for the automated lighting division. See their job listings.

Because of that, I doubt that it will be anything automated.

I'm gonna make a guess that based on the image they have in the ad it may be some sort of back end replacement for a Source 4 to change it to LED? But that's just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back