Alright, let's have a products you want to see for audio thread

I'll have to add that to my conversion tables!

Actually I saw the more adult version of that over at PSW, I editied it a bit. I've learned some interesting phrases from over there.

How about a solar powered wireless mic. I hate to have to run to the store to buy some new 9v batteries.

With the increase in processor speed and cost reduction, the digital domain is gradually taking over sound ... and that's where you'll likely see the "coolest" new technology. Some things that are certainly very feasible with today's technology, that I'd like to see, are:

- low-cost digital optical snake, for both input and output
- wireless snake
- self-powered speakers with digital inputs, or a "set-top" box for a given speaker that does the same
- self-powered wireless speakers, or "set-top" box
- universal console daisy-chaining procotols that support N-channel bus configurations and can connect dissimilar consoles.
- a universal wireless "bus" protocol that supports N channels of hi-res audio without the need to select frequency bands/channels ... to be used for input and output snake functionality, console chaining, and even XLR "plugs" to make any input device wireless. The protocol would likely have to support 200+ channels of audio traffic.

As you can tell, I'd like to get rid of the wires, the hum, the ground loops, etc. There's no need for that anymore ;)

That's a great start. A compact wireless ethernet, which could be if general use for any products that run over ethernet.

However it's not a complete audio product yet. Add the snake I/O on either side and you've got yourself a package. I know Avoim uses ethernet technology but don't know if they can hop on a general purpose network or need their own dedicated cable.

But that's definitely in the right direction.

Having working in the computer software industry for a zillion years I've learned that just about anything is possible -- someone just has to take the time and effort to do it!

Just have the actors wear metallic wigs that collect radiant power from the lights overhead ... ;)

I also joked with our lighting designer about the need for wireless lighting for the theater. That would be a stretch, but LED lighting (much less power required and heat generated) may not be too far away ...

Instead of solar power, how about a handy little crank like you see in those emergency weather radios. :grin:

Aha! Make the actors work more! That'd be great as a gag to give to the actor/actress who always leaves their mic on.

I just gaff over the tops of the beltbacks and write "Dont you DARE" on the gaff. That scares them away.
Oh man, that actually works?
I did that for a while and it did no good.
We lock the controls, even still some people decided to unplug.
The director fixed that quickly-"if you unplug your mic, you're done here"

Oh man, that actually works?
I did that for a while and it did no good.
We lock the controls, even still some people decided to unplug.
The director fixed that quickly-"if you unplug your mic, you're done here"

well...i'nm cheap so instead of gaff i use e-tape at my church. at the theatre we would go through so much e-tape/gaff that we would be broke so if a actor goes on stage without it on i radio my SM about it and he or the ASM tells the actor when they leave stage. all the acots do their own placement and we as techs make sure the batteries are charged, the levels broguht up and reduce the interference.

i think, we should make a wireless set that doesnt allow the interference with other channels or anything like that. other than that maybe we should hook up all the SM's with the 48,000 taser (FYI my SM is down on stage)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back