Control/Dimming Altman 200W LED Spectra Cyc Question

nagates

So the theatre I work at just order some Altman 200w Led Spectra cyc lights, I was hooking them up to the board and testing them out a bit, I put them in the 10 channel mode, i.e RrBbGwAaMm. one thing I notice if I bring the up the second color channels (finer tuning channels) so the rgb part in RrGgBbAa, i notice the fixture just barely brings up that color. My question is does that seem right, or am I doing something wrong? is it only the RGB channels, that have the most output?

Thanks,
-N

What control desk are you using to drive the fixtures?
Where there are 2 channels to a parameter usually they are a coarse & fine channel control, and are operated together, not independently.

Thanks for your quick replay, it's an older board a ETC expression 48/96... is this too old to work in 16bit mode?

I know the board can do personalities (granted geared more towards moving fixtures) would something like this help?

... a ETC expression 48/96... is this too old to work in 16bit mode?
That should be Express 48/96, not Expression; although the operating system is the same, just a somewhat different facepanel.

I believe you could write a personality that does 16-bit color, but don't think it's worth the effort in this case. As said above, the second channel adds a fine increment to the first. This becomes important with pan/tilt where moving the primary channel one percent may move the moving light six feet or more, but chances are one never needs to get that precise with color. One thing: once a function is in 16b mode, it no longer goes 0-100; instead both channels are linked and your range is 0-65535 [(256^2)-1]. One can't type that in; one must use the encoders and hope to hit a precise value. I'd run the cyclight s in 5 channel mode and forget about the extended channel.

As far as using a fixture personality, there are several benefits and few drawbacks. But many/most users probably just want the five colors on five handles and to be done with it.

It is possible to key in ~10,000 of the ~64K possibilities offered in 16 bit mode - keying in the %'s for coarse/fine. But only to the values that it rounds the %'s to.

Edit: changed 64 bit to 16 bit, spent far too long in the datacenter today wrestling Linux installs.

Last edited:
That should be Express 48/96, not Expression; although the operating system is the same, just a somewhat different facepanel.

I believe you could write a personality that does 16-bit color, but don't think it's worth the effort in this case. As said above, the second channel adds a fine increment to the first. This becomes important with pan/tilt where moving the primary channel one percent may move the moving light six feet or more, but chances are one never needs to get that precise with color. One thing: once a function is in 16b mode, it no longer goes 0-100; instead both channels are linked and your range is 0-65535 [(256^2)-1]. One can't type that in; one must use the encoders and hope to hit a precise value. I'd run the cyclight s in 5 channel mode and forget about the extended channel.

As far as using a fixture personality, there are several benefits and few drawbacks. But many/most users probably just want the five colors on five handles and to be done with it.

Sure, Make sense. I might just go with the 5 channel mode, as this was something I had considered. That being said, I played around with the personality editor, doesn't seem to hard to set up some attributes as 16 bit. Just for fun, I might try it.

Sure, Make sense. I might just go with the 5 channel mode, as this was something I had considered. That being said, I played around with the personality editor, doesn't seem to hard to set up some attributes as 16 bit. Just for fun, I might try it.

Try turning on smoothing (#604) in 8 bit mode if you have issues with long fades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back