Conventional Fixtures Altman 360 ellipsoidal

Luke--Here are pix of the Century caps I have. The fixtures are model 1491 and have the rounded yoke. Do your Century 6" have the thumb latch on the body at the rear to retain the lamp cap?
ship-- I assume you have a Century 1491 in your collection?

That's the one! As Ship noted, it changed to a 2321 (6x9; Mdl 2322 with Iris) number at some point -- the Mdl 23xx has a gobo slot. I also have some without the pattern holder slots which might be the older model. Regardless, those are the caps I need. Please PM me or give me a call and we'll negotiate!

-LUKE

Century #1480 (or later Century/Strand #2211) 6x9 Leko (c. post 1970); Has HX-600 lamp G-9.5 Med. 2Pin lamp socket and lamp - should be 500w EGE P-28s Medium Pre-Focus lamp. Gobo slot included. Fixture never had a P-28s lamp in it - was designed with a plate to use a G-9.5 socket in not being an upgrade. Radial Base.

Could be 1491 - best my research could reveal is above. This fixture is perhaps the last generation of radial Leko - one for this concept with a G-9.5 lamp fitting into it. Same yoke.

Interesting. The units I have are all Medium Prefocus bases. I don't recall ever seeing an old grey Century Leko rigged to accept any kind of bi-pin lamp, much less the HX type. I've only ever lamped them with incandescent (burn base up!) or EGE/EGG halogen lamps. I would not think the lamp center length is long enough to get to the focal point of the reflector, since it was designed for the longer lamp. Is ther a standoff in the base, between the socket and the base somewhere? Love to find THOSE so I can convert all of my radials to HX or HPL lamps! (I wonder if the Altmans would melt?)

As for Century model numbers, I can't make much sense of them. I posted a spec sheet for a 6x9 that gives it Model 2312 (with pattern slot) and 2322 with iris, but there seem to be several other models. I have use 6x12, 6x16, and 4.5x6.5 Century barrels too. What are there model numbers?

-luke

I have one, and will collect up up to further verify this question. I found it interesting also in that it has cut-outs stamped for the P-28s. I realize LCL stuff also

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you can still get both 500 watt DNS lamps and 500 watt EGE lamps. They both function fine with these instruments. I slightly prefer the DNS because it preserves the lamp filament geometry of the original 500T20/9 incscadent lamp. The EGE uses a coiled lamp filament just like the EGG lamp that you found in yours. Bench focusing these is quite a trial, but if you are patient you can get a passable result. I think that the DNS is easier to bench focus and the lamp filament shadow is slightly less noticable.

Luke--Here are pix of the Century caps I have. The fixtures are model 1491 and have the rounded yoke. Do your Century 6" have the thumb latch on the body at the rear to retain the lamp cap?
ship-- I assume you have a Century 1491 in your collection?

View attachment 14658 View attachment 14659 View attachment 14660 View attachment 14661
Sorry to all for having been away from the topic. Long story short, the theatre management is being difficult and unwilling to even credit lighting, much less spend $$ on it -- so my plans to grow a menagerie of oldies but goodies are on hold for now.

To answer microstar, my old 6" Century Lekos have the thumb latch. The 8" units have a cap with a spring-loaded t-shaped latch. (Picture a wingnut-headed bolt with a T-shaped shaft. The shaft engages a slot in the body and locks with a half turn. Very stiff and cranky; not Century's best design.)

Thanks to all for your help and support on this. When and if this theatre begins to value lighting for their shows I may revisit the plan. For now, I have a gig at another theatre...

Peace to all, luke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back