Altman 65Q and 360Q Repair/Rewiring

jbogner

Hi all,

I am going through and repairing our school district's old inventory of Altman halogen fixtures. We operate over 20 Altman 65Qs and have a few old Altman 360Qs, many of which are original to our high school building which was built in 1976.

Our fixtures have a lot of wiring issues, all of the older ones need new wires installed. I have ordered a decent amount of new hardware for them, but before going through and installing these wires in all of the fixtures, I want to make sure they are safe.

I ordered 16 gauge PTFE 200°C wire, which seems to have a high enough heat rating and outperformed any of our other wires when I tested the wire insulation with an open flame. Will this wire be good for our use? We lamp all of our fixtures at 575w.
I am using our newer Altman 65Q units (from 2002) as my reference for wiring standards as they are much safer.

I will be installing Romex connectors on the back of each 65Q to hold the cable in place, have fiberglass cable sheathing over the leads, and replacing sockets as necessary.

Does this sound like a good plan for repairing these old fixtures? The aspect I am most concerned about getting right is the type of wire, which it seems like we have the correct wire this time (all of these fixtures were previously rewired with the wrong type of cable and that has since become blackened and brittle making these lights very dangerous).

Here is the link to the wire we purchased for reference:
https://www.remingtonindustries.com...wg-ptfe-stranded-10-colors-7-sizes-available/

Thank you,
Jeremiah

If any of them have bad sockets I would skip trying to fix them and upgrade the unit to HPL with the HPL upgrade kit, which includes wiring and a fiberglass sleeve.

I had considered going that route, but we do not have the funds for that and it would be much more cost effective for us to just replace the hardware ourselves. We also have a decent supply of new sockets on hand, so the wires are the main concern at this point.

First, are you student or staff? Sorry to ask but CB knowledge on member status has changed in knowing. Obviously with student's we can kind of semi-reccomend with supervision to what they do. And with both fixtures in the past I have posted detailed instructions on servicing the fixtures on this website. But can refresh to current on both fixtures I could assemble blindfolded given how many of them I have serviced.

Seems like you bought wire before the problem so far. PTFE 200C is fine, though the added fiberglass insulation on SF-2 is preferred.
I assume those black plastic "Heyco" cord grips in use with the fixtures are hard to use. Rather than drilling out for 1/2" NPT, try buying some Heyco strain relief pliers.. They are hard to use and at times you need the broot fource of pounding them home thru various tools. You keep the factory spec. and full warranty. If you do not have to modify the fixture, you are in better liability shape. Your cable sleeve conditon by now assumed good.
As above, lamp sockets!!! And a whole world of Fresnel and Leko replacement socket discussions..

Big topic in restoring such a set of lighting fixtures.... Have not gotten into slide rails, Industrial dish washers for the lenses, What type of lubricant to use on lens trains, etc. etc. How to restore a Fresnel lamp socket, or replace it, or why not to put a perfectly good lamp into a bad socket. If staff, you can do all this and bring the fixtures back to new. If student, can help with supervision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back