Altman Cyc Gel Frame GC-CF 8 3/4 x 13

Voltztron

Hello. I am trying to find gel frames for an Altman 3 cell cyc light for our local high school. The frame size is 8 3/4 x 13. We need 3 of them. I can’t find them online or locally. Does anyone have a source for them or any they’d like to sell? Thanks!

www.bmisupply.com has it for $13.46 each:

Cyc color frame.png

Making a colour frame is pretty simple, the high school probably has a metal workshop which could make them for you, they don't need to look pretty

Making a colour frame is pretty simple, the high school probably has a metal workshop which could make them for you, they don't need to look pretty
In the USA, I think "shop class" has been dead for years, probably has something to do with liability. Could be wrong though.

In the USA, I think "shop class" has been dead for years, probably has something to do with liability. Could be wrong though.
We still have at least four shop classes up here north of lil' Donnie's walls.
In grades 6 < 8, shops consisted of wood, plastics, and sheet metal: In wood, I made a table top book rack In plastic, I made a clear plastic letter opener with my initial forming its handle, and in sheet metal I made a galvanized steel dustpan using a box and pan bending brake then added a hand riveted handle.

In grades 9 < 10 we progressed to using power tools, floor mounted and hand held.
Shops included auto mechanics, electrical, machine shop and wood.
In grades 11 & 12 it was time to specialize, in my case electrical. Grade 11 was DC and grade 12 was AC with drafting included.
Having successfully graduated from electrics special, I was credited with 200 hours off each of my five terms of apprenticeship.
Shops are still very much alive up here north of the walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

We still have at least four shop classes up here north of lil' Donnie's walls.
In grades 6 < 8, shops consisted of wood, plastics, and sheet metal: In wood, I made a table top book rack In plastic, I made a clear plastic letter opener with my initial forming its handle, and in sheet metal I made a galvanized steel dustpan using a box and pan bending brake then added a hand riveted handle.

In grades 9 < 10 we progressed to using power tools, floor mounted and hand held.
Shops included auto mechanics, electrical, machine shop and wood.
In grades 11 & 12 it was time to specialize, in my case electrical. Grade 11 was DC and grade 12 was AC with drafting included.
Having successfully graduated from electrics special, I was credited with 200 hours off each of my five terms of apprenticeship.
Shops are still very much alive up here north of the walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Yeah, but that was last century (or so), Ron! We had shop classes in Jr. High school that mirrored yours - manual tools, nothing really heated. High School changed that with forges in metal shop, soldering irons in electricity/electronics, lathes and bandsaws in woodshop.

Edit for additional thoughts: shop classes were aimed at students who were thought to not be "college material". The basic classes covered most of what business and industry sought in workers back in that day. I think today's version could be coding classes, hardware interfacing, and UI design. Those are things a software based, service economy need.

That also said, societies will continue to need plumbers, electricians, carpenters and steel workers, refuse and waste engineers.

Last edited:
I spent most of my 8th grade shop on a turret lathe & a nice Bridgeport mill. But, yes, any shop class or sheet metal shop can make gel frames. Just give 'em a sketch with dimensions.

Last edited:
Every high school in W Australia has metal and wood shops and some have auto shops for all sexes

I spent most of my 8th grade shop on a turret lathe & a nice Bridgeport mill. But, yes, any shop class or sheet metal shop can make gel frames. Just give 'em a sketch with dimensions.
Just out of curiosity, does the public school system in your town currently have shop classes? And I'm not talking about Vo-Tech schools.

Microstar, that's a very good question. My high school (64 years ago in Cleveland, when Cleveland was an industrial city of 850,000 people) certainly did. I don't know what Idaho schools have nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back