Vintage Lighting Altman Orbiter - lamp retrofit?

ndp

Fun Director
We have two Altman Orbiter followspots in our inventory. As far as I know, they haven't been used in some time. Before we consider tossing or selling them, I thought I'd look a bit into the lamp situation, as that is our biggest issue with using them.

They take the EZT/GE MARC 350/16 lamp, which is quite expensive and has an estimated hour runtime of 50 (pretty low, we'd go through one a show at that rate). I see on eBay that High Output is selling an Orbiter that has been retrofit to use a Phillips MSR 575. This is a much more attractive option, as 1000hrs of run would make it worth it for us to retain the units. Does anyone have details on what this sort of retrofit entails? Information online is quite scarce.

Thanks.

- Nick

1614624378781.png

We have two Altman Orbiter followspots in our inventory. As far as I know, they haven't been used in some time. Before we consider tossing or selling them, I thought I'd look a bit into the lamp situation, as that is our biggest issue with using them.

They take the EZT/GE MARC 350/16 lamp, which is quite expensive and has an estimated hour runtime of 50 (pretty low, we'd go through one a show at that rate). I see on eBay that High Output is selling an Orbiter that has been retrofit to use a Phillips MSR 575. This is a much more attractive option, as 1000hrs of run would make it worth it for us to retain the units. Does anyone have details on what this sort of retrofit entails? Information online is quite scarce.

Thanks.

- Nick

View attachment 21595
Calling: @ship , @DELO72 , and @Amiers
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Retrofitting is fun and tedious. The chances you will find a manual on something this old to do it most likely doesn’t exist on the internet. You will want to look at other follow spots that use a MSR575 and copy that wiring diagram as closely as possible. If you want our help make sure you take lots of pictures internally as the outside of it really doesn’t help much.

This is the closes I could find on a retrofit diagram which is incomplete.
A55B48D7-300E-4D69-8599-8306846D8A38.png

I would call atman and ask them about this image and part numbers on it and if they don’t know then maybe take your questions to lightparts.

A good read about your fixture from the depths of PSW https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=91493.0

Thanks all for the very helpful info. Think I'll pull it out this week and see what the state of things are with it.

Will advise where I go from there!

- Nick

Sorry, the lamps are still avalible. It's a follow spot lamp, and is what it is for hours. That said, I do such things. Not saying you should, and I would not in your case.l

There was a discussion related to this that I cannot find, which I said I would do some research about the dating of the dichroic lamps of.

Still two older book/catalogues in the attic to climb to in concept and dating of dichroic, but ENX and Marc 350 dates are at least 1979 for a starting date in found tonight in published literature.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give advice.

Well, one of those things that we had to make a tough call with. We've decided that we can't reasonably spend the time and money on them right now, and there isn't a huge need for followspots with the type of production work we do. Plus with 4Wall down the road we can rent something that fits our space much better for the rare instance we need them.

Accordingly, I'm trying to give the two away to a good home. If that sounds like you, see here: https://www.controlbooth.com/thread...llowspots-with-flight-cases-and-stands.48098/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back