Altman PHX LED Leko Soft Focus Accessory

Andy Haefner

A school I work at recently had new lights installed, they are Altman PHX 250w led lekos, some zoom, the rest 26° Barrels.

While focusing some fixtures I noticed color fringing along the edges of the focused beam, possibly due to their led array of the fact that they shine through grating in the ceiling (or possibly due to their short throw, roughly 40-50ft)

Altman makes a soft focus lens accessory for these lights, supposedly a magical 5° diffusion sheet that goes in it's gobo slot. However I wanted to know how else this could be solved, as the manufactured solution is rather expensive for the budget were working with.

Could I simply put some frost gel in a frame at the front of the fixture? Or even in the gobo slot as these fixtures don't get hot?

My primary concern is getting the led array to blend more and be uniform, I'm not too worried about losing intensity as these fixtures are a little overkill for the space.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, anybody have any experience working with fixtures like these?

Many manufacturers ship their fixtures with this, I'm surprised Altman doesn't. From my understanding it's more of a holographic filter than straight diffusion, though in a pinch I have put diffusion in the gobo slot of an LED leko to smooth out the color field. The holofilm will do a better job of preserving intensity and providing ideal homogenizing though.

Many manufacturers ship their fixtures with this, I'm surprised Altman doesn't. From my understanding it's more of a holographic filter than straight diffusion, though in a pinch I have put diffusion in the gobo slot of an LED leko to smooth out the color field. The holofilm will do a better job of preserving intensity and providing ideal homogenizing though.
Apparently the fixtures do ship with them, however it appears the installer rather took them with them, discarded them, or got a deal on lights that didn't come with them. Not sure but I don't have any :confused:

That's frustrating. I'd get in touch with the installer and question where are the necessary parts that you paid for and are required for proper operation of the units. If that doesn't work, I'd definitely suggest getting the right film at some point, it does wonders. I don't know how much the Altman ones are, but it looks like the Chauvet ones are $20 for filter + holder, P/N PTJ2030100091 - if that's a good deal maybe contact a local Chauvet dealer and try one of those and get more if they're compatible (which I assume they are)?

The Chauvet one fits in a standard B-Size Gobo Holder. If the Altman takes B-Size Gobos, it will fit. I assume that it will work fine, but have never put one of our filters in their light, so... Try one first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back