Altman StarPAR's overspill ?

JSFox

I just inherited a bunch of Starpar's. These things have a ton of overspill with any of the 4 lenses. They're useless for anything other than really really close lighting. Are all of Starpar's like this? (traditional P64 cans have a little spill, but nothing like this). Is there any way to adjust them (I didn't notice anything on the lamp housing)?

Thanks,

Maybe throwing some tophats on them would help. I don't have too much experience with the Star Pars, but I have worked with ETC Source Four Pars, which are similar. Remember that in a PAR64 can, the lamp/lens are way back in the can, but with the Star Pars/S4 Pars the lens is right up front and isn't way back in a can, letting that light spill all over the place.

Remember, these aren't lekos...

Maybe throwing some tophats on them would help. I don't have too much experience with the Star Pars, but I have worked with ETC Source Four Pars, which are similar. Remember that in a PAR64 can, the lamp/lens are way back in the can, but with the Star Pars/S4 Pars the lens is right up front and isn't way back in a can, letting that light spill all over the place.

Agreed, When I plot i usually put top hats on them if the space has them. Also, which way are your lenses set in? (the dome of the lense should be in line with the reflector like this... ( (. So the lense should be goin into the unit, not coming out of it.

Haven't heard the "tophat" reference before ... same/different to barn doors? If different, does the fixture allow barn doors to be fitted - this could also assist?

Thanks all. Interesting comment on the lens direction. I'll have to check that out.

Beam, a tophat is sometimes also referred to as a snoot. Just a tube that goes on the end of a fixture. There are also halfhats or snits.

Agreed, When I plot i usually put top hats on them if the space has them. Also, which way are your lenses set in? (the dome of the lense should be in line with the reflector like this... ( (. So the lense should be goin into the unit, not coming out of it.

That might be an issue with the Altmans. I read a bulletin from ETC on the S4 Pars a while ago saying that it optically didn't matter which direction you put the lens in, it would just be harder to get it out if it was put in with the convex side out.

I have not checked the manual but all the CDM Star Pars I see have lens out position to them - convex side out. Don't know why but that's how I see them. Should take a 10" PAR 64/8"Fresnel top hat or barn door without a problem. Safety this item however because the gel frame bracket attachment to the fixture is a bit flimsy. Should a good blow hit it, the accessory and accessory holder (gel frame bracket) could fall.

It's an outdoor fixture so spill off into the wide blackness of the sky is not much of a problem, much less suspension from a plole 20' in the air also doesn't cause much of a problem with spill. Tophat sounds like a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back