Vintage Lighting Altman Super AltSpot 2100

Hello all......I have an Altman super alt spot 2100 that we have been using sparingly for years. Recently, it was used and the wire leading into one end of the lamp lead assembly fried and after taking it out, I saw that the main piece (looks like porcelain) has cracked and needs to be replaced. I reached out to Altman but all they could tell me was that the model had been discontinued and no parts were available for it.......any thoughts? Thanks.....
20180607_092439_resized.jpg
20180607_092446_resized.jpg
20180607_101430_resized.jpg
20180607_101442_resized.jpg

Well, that's a unique beast! I thought all Altspot 2100 s used 60V lamp with mogul bipost base (link to Don's Bulbs for reference only), as in the fixture sheet attached (AltSpot 2100 SuperSpot).

Does the fixture look like it's ever been modified since it came from the factory? The non-mirror finish surface of your reflector worries me some. Does your fixture have a big honkin' external transformer? Here's a thread on a light real similar to yours: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/name-that-followspot-capitol-1001.21460/ .

I'm guessing the "Super" identifier for your unit means a double-ended 60V 2100W lamp (of which I've never heard), in which case in theory one would need a "mogul RSC" socket, if such a thing exists. Please stand by while I google....
Nope, that search went nowhere.

Can you post a picture of the lamp?

In the meantime, we'll put out the bat signal for @ship, our resident lamp/socket expert.
-----
Maybe it's not a "mogul" but just a "regular" RSC socket/lampholder. This
proxy.php

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041M83VG/?tag=controlbooth-20
might work. Probably will need some fabrication tapping/modifying screwholes and such. For proper/best results, the lamp, especially the filament, needs to go back exactly from whince it came.
-----
Although the socket is rated 1500W 600V, since you're using it at 60V, it should be okay for up to 15,000 watts. That's how that works, right?

Wait. At 60V, maybe it's only good up to 150 watts? Help!

Attachments

• Altspot_2100_Superspot.pdf
    542 KB · Views: 153
The one Derek listed above is the only type I have ever seen. Maybe someone came up with a kit and it was converted. Looks like a tubular halogen lamp now. Is it yours or does it belong to a school or organization? I would be half tempted to get out the service manual and try to figure out how to convert it to 575 HMI myself. Would not recommend that for others as it could end up with a short trip to the graveyard for the operator if not done right. Still, looks heavily modified as it is. (Unless Altman released some upgrade I don't know about.)

Good call, @Mac Hosehead . :clap:

Here's my hypothesis...
At some point in the luminaire 's ~50 year life, the original transformer, socket, and reflector were removed and the fixture adapted to take a 1000/1500/2000 watt FER/DVV/FEY 120V lamp. Still, with the matte reflector and linear filament, the output can't be pretty.

If it were mine, I'd be figuring out how to cram a 360Q reflector and GLD lamp in there. Wait. An ellipsoidal reflector likely wouldn't work with existing lenses. Need a spherical reflector, possibly from an old 8" Fresnel.

Can you post a picture of the lamp?
20180608_124950_resized.jpg

Is it yours or does it belong to a school or organization?
This belongs to an organization and I don't know if there have been modifications done in the past. The pictured socket looks very similar to the existing one, and I can probably modify it so that it would work. As you can see in the picture of the lamp I uploaded, it uses a 2000w 120v double ended halogen.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were mine, I'd be figuring out how to cram a 360Q reflector and GLD lamp in there. Wait. An ellipsoidal reflector likely wouldn't work with existing lenses.

I think you're correct. It has been at least a decade, but the last time I ran this experiment, I stuck a 360Q pineapple housing behind the optical train from an old Little followspot. Same basic design with the 4.5" "conza" stepped lens. In order to get good results, that stepped lens needed to be removed. I remember it getting pretty decent at that point, but I never went any further with the experiment.

The only time I have seen this setup was with a mogul prefocus lamp/socket combo. This is just a bizarre beast.

PM from @derekleffew to @ship :
Don’t tell me these things...tell the thread.

Thanks,
DL

Was busy at work and took some time to reply to Derek in consulting my pre-2000 Altman parts manuals and cross referencing it with my 2004 parts manuals, lamp socket notes, Purchase Order System for stuff I bought ,Bulbtronics website (not very organized but have most lamp sockets currently on the market presented somewhat), Buhl, Osram and other lamp socket catalogues - which even if now elderly might find another supplier in if still made. Than checking my inventory on this part. But had to get back to work in not posting from work anyway as a rule.... bla bla bla.

But wait that’s not all.... more shopping for Daughter & Wife’s B-Day party tomorrow, and more fabrication up until the glue up was weighted and clamped done.. Until glue is done drying on our under bed storage drawer unit. Busy! But glad Derek contacted me on this and always, this specifically is something I know about.

After checking both work and home, I have one un-broken S-12 lamp socket left. It’s contacts are in about as good of shape as your’s. Even a Dremmel Tool with a silicone abrasive fiber bit won’t restore such a lamp socket. Will get into options below.

FEY lamp is probably a really good upgrade to the followspot. I have some Kliegl #1340 Leko’s over my home work table with the same style of RSC (R-7s) type lamps in a much smaller 3.5Q5 lens fixture, and indeed a Colortran version of this - both in the museum and home perfectly bench focus about as good as at least a Altman 360Q. I don’t know why the perpendicular to beam long filaments work out, but they do. Lots of examples in the mid-1960's of these early RSC lamps in halogen or "Quartz" upgrade from halogen kits. I have lots of Fresnels which have them halogen upgrades and other gear. This might not have been a home built upgrade, it might have been a commercial upgrade thing. Or something someone at the theater adapted for another fixture which seemingly was on the level of those I learned from in skill level. If you get a flat field without a hard ring you cannot at least slightly soften, if you can Iris... what ever you are using seemingly is a followspot. There are certain further optical things from beam one would want, but I doubt important. It's a followspot.

Brass tacks. I’m experienced with this S-12 lamp socket. It is the same lamp socket used on the Altman Quartz Scoop #161. (Never noticed the Osram S-12 designation before.) The long porcelain fins on the lamp socket used to break a lot in lamp changes. I knew of them as the Altman #58-0025 lamp socket. Interesting that even if Osram rated the lamp socket for 2Kw, Altman only did them as a 1Kw lamp with warranty replacements either for broken fins or burn’t out contacts, complaints by customers, or the lamp socket was discontinued by Osram in forwarding up the complaint. Exact history is not known.
Altman upgraded to the more standard (less fragile) 58-0080 (S-2) lampholder as part of the upgraded 71-1056 assembly. Or I have a note in the 2004 parts cataloge to use #97-0230 as a replacement. This is the complete upgrade kit for the scoop.

Basically they stuck the S-2 sockets at the end of a longer steel yoke in this case platform assembly. Given the scoop fixture upgrade was made for a different lamp, Altman above and discontinued parts are only historic or use to those with such scoops in noting. This lamp socket is no longer available and this is how Altman at least solved the problem for their 16" Quartz scoop in using the same lamp base but a different/longer lamp.

Richard would have to make his own yoke assy out of 1/8x3/4" steel to mount a FEY lamp on it given a 2.3/8 " LL instead of 4.11/16" LL lamp designed for the Altman upgrade. Somewhat easy to bend if one is experienced in metal fabrication. I have my good and bad days in bending such plates for instance but it is fairly simple to do.

The S2 is rated for 1.5Kw. Assuming forced cooling with the fixture, might work out ok with a 2K lamp in it..

The other thing, I measured a S-2 and a S-12 distance between that pinned contact and were the screw to mount it was. It’s within say a 1/16" out in being shorter that distance. So assuming you safely chip out the cement from the porcelain lamp assembly in getting at the removal screws of the lamp socket’s contacts... You should be able to replace the contacts of a S-12 with a S-2 safely. Might even add one of the new S-2 (now extra) leaf springs to this replacement in adding to tension of a badly designed lamp socket concept. By the way... I have done this concept in the past safely for touring but given 1Kw scoops.

There is a porcelain cement you will have to carefully chip out of the hole from it’s nut so as to remove the spring leaf/contact assembly. This cement is not cheap, but is fun to work with if you have budget and work fast to do properly in replacing. Kind of like plaster but quicker in drying but in drying porcelain... much harder to remove extra material from - something I do. I do not know if proper to just leave the holes open - think it fine, or better to just at least wrap such an open hole with high temp. fiberglass electrical tape. And or can you safely do this repair and still apply within your theater, local code or insurance labially clauses.

Yes, I think it possible to somewhat easily replace the lamp sockets from a S-12 with those from a S-2. Beleve back like 2003 or 2004 I was actively doing this. This is a very viable followspot I think given its lamp type in being upgraded. Lamp sockets suck but the lamp is decent enough to be worthwhile. Good and interesting idea for upgrading an obsolete fixture. As to what reflector is used... Given the fairly short filiament of the FEY lamp... I doubt you will notice that the filament is 90 degrees from design. Brilliant concept back in the day.
I think you're correct. It has been at least a decade, but the last time I ran this experiment, I stuck a 360Q pineapple housing behind the optical train from an old Little followspot. Same basic design with the 4.5" "conza" stepped lens. In order to get good results, that stepped lens needed to be removed. I remember it getting pretty decent at that point, but I never went any further with the experiment.

The only time I have seen this setup was with a mogul prefocus lamp/socket combo. This is just a bizarre beast.

You guys are thinking like me, though I would never strap a Leko lens/base assembly into a followspot. I did get a 2Kw CYX Fresnel type lamp to properly bench focus to a Kliegl Dyna Beam follow spot and some 8" Century 1560 Lekos. I believe when this project was done, halogen lamps were RSiC/dual ended as a later type like a 80's jobsite work light. This followspot project I think in upgrade done in the mid-1960's.

You guys are thinking like me, though I would never strap a Leko lens/base assembly into a followspot.
Why the heck not? Assuming you mean socket/reflector assembly, ever been inside a 1000Q or Trouperette III? I know you have. You found an FEL in an ellipsoidal reflector. Even a Super Trouper uses an ellipsoidal reflector. But AltSpots, with their fancy conza lens and condensing optics, require a spherical reflector, with a mogul prefocus or mogul bipost 1000/1500/2000 watt lamp.
-----
Was busy at work and took some time to reply to Derek in consulting my pre-2000 Altman parts manuals and cross referencing it with my 2004 parts manuals, lamp socket notes, Purchase Order System for stuff I bought ,Bulbtronics website (not very organized but have most lamp sockets currently on the market presented somewhat), Buhl, Osram and other lamp socket catalogues - which even if now elderly might find another supplier in if still made. Than checking my inventory on this part. But had to get back to work in not posting from work anyway as a rule.... bla bla bla.

But wait that’s not all.... more shopping for Daughter & Wife’s B-Day party tomorrow, and more fabrication up until the glue up was weighted and clamped done.. Until glue is done drying on our under bed storage drawer unit. Busy! But glad Derek contacted me on this and always, this specifically is something I know about.
To Everyone: this is @ship when he's busy. You should see how much he types when he's bored!

As @Mac Hosehead references above, I had to replace a pair of S12 RSC sockets in an old Kleigl fresnel a while back and finally found one on Ebay. Actually had to buy a lot of 5 and only needed 2, so I've got 3 left over; they are brand new with 12" leads.
If the OP will PM me, we can work something out.
S12A.JPG S12B.JPG

Finished next glue up and survived a OK' B-day party = huge stress. Next year I want amazing for my child. If @microstar above has new socket's - this is the optimum replacement but don't throw away your old sockets in some day using the gizzards of the S-2. Print up and save what to do with them. Recognize the differences in reflectors, but if it works for the client, it's a followspot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back