Alu-Par Osram par 64

visigoth

Anyone got one of these? Claims it is 30% brighter and about 5$ cheaper. Going to get a demo soon, but would like to hear if anyone has seen it.

I've seen the print ads, that's all. I think ship has spoken on this lamp previously.

Good lamp, were it not for literally hundreds of old style bottles already in stock and most designers not asking for it yet we would be into it were it not for the replacement rate.

Good stuff, play tested them in the various forms. Disappointed there is so few sizes, lamp lifes and wattages available but also understand its a startup product and even going PAR 64 size was a chance.

Would love to see it in a PAR 46 size for instance. Kind of disappointing that a Q250 PAR 38 will out punch it, this much less most halogen PaR 38 lamps will out color temperature it. Those also in less quantity would be easier to change to.

Still overall, if you can go with the AlumiPAR, it's a good lamp.

I saw it earlier this year at a trade show. They were making much out of the 50% reduction in weight. Shame they had them installed in a steel PAR can. However there was a price premium for it. Also they were making a bige deal out of the fact they can be recycled. Even in the steel can you can feel the weight difference when you lift up a regular lamp and can and an Alumi PAR and can. I haven't bought any too expensive and I have plenty of regular lamps to use.

So there's a 50% reduction in weight...but were Par 64 cans really heavy in the first place? Too bad there's no plans to reduce S4 weight. They're built like tanks!

(saw this older post and had to reply... :) )

Actually, in addition to the weight, they also throw less heat forward, so saturated colors won't burn through as fast (Congo Blue, anyone?). And they are 80% recyclable, so you only have to throw out the capsule and ceramic base part. The Glass and Reflector can go into a recycle bin, unlike the Glass PARs which are destined for the town landfill....

Price is the same as Glass PARs, and output on the 64s is the same. The aluPAR 56's are much brighter in appearance than the Glass PAR 56 due to their having halogen capsules vs. incandescent capsules which the glass PAR 56s use. So the color temp is about 200 deg. Kelvin higher.

I recycle all lamps. This even if it costs as much to recycle a 55gal. drum full of PAR 64 lamps as it does to recycle a similar sized drum full of moving light lamps containing thousands more lamps that are harmful. Kind of a shame.

the light output is better and you do not get the oval shape you are used to from the glass PARs because the lamp inside does not have the usual linear filament so you get a almost round pool of light. In this area the ALU PAR lamps are significantly cheaper to buy than the glass PAR lamps

the light output is better and you do not get the oval shape you are used to from the glass PARs because the lamp inside does not have the usual linear filament so you get a almost round pool of light. In this area the ALU PAR lamps are significantly cheaper to buy than the glass PAR lamps

Noted both of these two points today as advantage in quoting out an order for 100x 500w Par 64 and 300x PAR 56 at 500w.

Yep, I have no idea asto why that amount of either.

Still though in attempt for this quote, I did attempt to do the cheaper and lighter AluPAR for the bid, and perhaps still might for the PAR 56, but given it was only a 300w version and the customer wants 500w, and didn't match either for the PAR 64 versions... given the specified wattages, I couldn't match that over normal lamps for output and watage requested.

Was kind of looking forward to a project to buy these lamps for but in this case it was the totally opposite of lamps available.

Noted both of these two points today as advantage in quoting out an order for 100x 500w Par 64 and 300x PAR 56 at 500w.

Yep, I have no idea asto why that amount of either.

Still though in attempt for this quote, I did attempt to do the cheaper and lighter AluPAR for the bid, and perhaps still might for the PAR 56, but given it was only a 300w version and the customer wants 500w, and didn't match either for the PAR 64 versions... given the specified wattages, I couldn't match that over normal lamps for output and watage requested.

Was kind of looking forward to a project to buy these lamps for but in this case it was the totally opposite of lamps available.

We have the 500W aluPAR 56s. Not that much of a difference vs. the Glass ones in terms of output-- However, the 300W aluPARs actually look as bright as the 500w Glass due to the higher color temp of the TH capsule.

Which 64s were you trying to match? The NSP and VNSP has far more output (cbcp)than the glass PAR. The MFL is a little dimmer, and the WFL is about equal.

Think there would be any interest in a 575W aluPAR? (GLC high output 300hr or GLA lower output 1500hr).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back