Am I crazy?

Hard to say on the taller castle part because of the wardrobe in front of it, the left side definitely looks like a ground row in from of the backdrop to me, there's definitely a little bit of light leak under set of double towers right in the middle of the low towers. Part of gradient though is that its lit from both the top and the floor. But that could also just be a rear projected silhouette and the cyc "lighting" is part of the projection.

Are you using translucent coroplast? I realize we're on opposite corners of the country, but a few years back I was looking for the stuff, but could only ever source opaque in various colors. The translucent stuff was nigh impossible to get outside of a pallet size delivery which was overkill for that project.

Are you using translucent coroplast? I realize we're on opposite corners of the country, but a few years back I was looking for the stuff, but could only ever source opaque in various colors. The translucent stuff was nigh impossible to get outside of a pallet size delivery which was overkill for that project.

I’m still in the experimenting phase. My original thought was coroplast, because of some threads here, and also I have a friend who works for a sign company who could hook me up with materials. The more I noodle and the more mini sets I test though the less I’m liking coroplast as the solution.

I agree with the first half, the second have I don't know that I agree with..

Thanks for the additional info about lighting fixtures. I'm not a lighting tech and was only referring to the LED flashlight Catherder used to test the theory- as in: a single small LED is more successful than multiple LEDs if you want to have greater depth of field and crisp shadows. Saving the info provided here!

I have a degree in puppetry with a focus in shadow puppetry and taught it for 5 years so I've just had a chance to play with a lot of different set ups and explore different fixtures, locations/angles, size of scenery and layering. So I just know where we have had struggles before.

I have a degree in puppetry with a focus in shadow puppetry and taught it for 5 years so I've just had a chance to play with a lot of different set ups and explore different fixtures, locations/angles, size of scenery and layering. So I just know where we have had struggles before.
@josh88 Are puppets difficult to teach? Do they learn well?? What degrees are typically sought??? What percentage find work in their desired fields upon graduation???? "A focus in shadow puppetry" Boo! Hiss!! Far, FAR, FAR too Freudian!!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@josh88 Are puppets difficult to teach? Do they learn well?? What degrees are typically sought??? What percentage find work in their desired fields upon graduation???? "A focus in shadow puppetry" Boo! Hiss!! Far, FAR, FAR too Freudian!!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Like teaching a block of wood.

4mm coroplast color: natural has great translucent properties.
A couple thoughts:.... Is there any reason you wouldn't simply do rear projection? You could have incredibly intricate backgrounds, with as little, or as much definition as you'd like using photoshop to Blur your images. I do this style presentation all the time, and now with my new short throw laser projectors, I can do like 160" from 18" off the back wall. The coroplast will work beautifully if that's the route you're looking to go. It's readily available in small quantities from companies like Piedmont plastics, as well as big box stores like Menards. using full sheets can be a little bit challenging, because they have ridiculous thermal expansion properties, and because they're fluted, they can convex quite a bit if say one side is subjected heat, and the other is not. it can easily be seamed with Frosted Oracal Vinyl so as to show no gaps. Here's an example of some coroplast in action, as well as a rear projection I did several years back.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not necroposting but I wanted to circle back on this and let y’all know where we landed. We’re still a month out from opening but here’s what we ended up doing. This is all new ground for us. Painted flats, sure. Platforms, no problem. Whatever this is - flying blind.

First, we bought a cyc. Of all the experiments I did a muslin backdrop looked best. I got some sheets of polyiso foam board to cut the village and let the kids design the layout. Then we bounced our small store of led ground lights off the back of the village. Still a lot to do - finish the last village piece, get the wrinkles out, and get the final lighting layout down, plus about a thousand other details. These are from our focus session last night - first time with the cyc up. Oh, the fat guy on stage looking critically at the whole thing is me. 26B20F96-D8A5-43C0-89DC-60F015B5AF3C.jpegA3097287-8B5A-47C4-AA46-CFBE38D0B580.jpeg05984A80-9AD4-430C-A78F-4001B8B195B8.jpeg

EDIT: The hotspots don’t look nearly as bad in real life. Stupid iPhone camera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back