Am I making the right college decision?

Sorry I haven't responded to anyone here! And I want to say, thank you all so much! It amazes me how complete strangers can offer such helpful advice... @TuckerD I decided to go with an Electrical Engineering Major, and take classes I want to to gain knowledge in tech theatre on the side of that. I recently received my application for membership with IATSE local 10 after working my required calls for evaluation, and I plan to continue that work as well as work at non-union houses throughout college. Hopefully once I'm out I can find a job at a major theatre product company such as ETC and continue doing what I really love (in the field work) with an IATSE local or something similar. Again thank you all so much for the advice.
Best wishes,
Andy Haefner

That's amazing! ETC offers incredible internship opportunities to EE and CS majors. If you stay active on chat groups like this one I guarantee someone will be watching.

I'm late to this discussion, but I have to at least weight in on one thing...

I teach at a BA theatre program, and I COMPLETELY AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE with anyone who thinks that a BA is pointless, offers few skills, or doesn't connect students to the professional world. I teach at a small school in Ohio (i.e. not the cultural mecca of the world), but we bring in guest directors from Chicago, Boston and New York, take students on job-shadowing trips to Chicago, bring in guest artists for workshops, and Skype in artists from around the country for Q&A sessions.

To categorically declare BA programs as inferior to BFAs is simply unfair. Each type of degree caters to a different type of student and a different type of learner, and both have value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back