Design Amateur LD fee?

xander

Hello all,
These seems like a kinda weird question for this forum, but I am sure you will all have your opinions, so I would like to hear them.

I am a young technician (24) and have been working professionally for a few years, but all of my work has been crew and ME so far. So, I got offered the design of a small show recently. It's being produced by a guy that is pretty new to the theatre world. I ALDed his first show, that is how I got the offer. My question is: how much do I charge? I have never designed for a fee before. Of course there will be negotiations, but I don't even know where to start.
I have no idea how much money he has, but I am sure it is very little. The space is a black box with 48 dimmers, prolly somewhere in the 100-200 seat range. The show runs 2 weekends and they are charging $20/tix. The play is realism, straight forward, should be pretty easy.

Any and all opinions appreciated,
-Tim

Well it depends...you're realtivetly new (by your own admission) and so is he. Are you going to be doing all the crew work? Will you hang focus and Q by yourself? Do you have a crew? Are you going to have to run the show? Will you get contacts/other opportunites out of the show you might not get elsewhere?

Well, he has said that there will be crew to help hang and focus. But I have a feeling I will be programming myself. I don't have to run it. My assumption is that the SM will be hitting GO. These are all things I will talk to him about during negotiations.

-Tim

pm sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back