The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Design Issues and Solutions Amateur LD fee?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by xander, Dec 22, 2008.

1. xander

xander Well-Known Member

Production Electrician, Programmer
    Hello all,
    These seems like a kinda weird question for this forum, but I am sure you will all have your opinions, so I would like to hear them.

I am a young technician (24) and have been working professionally for a few years, but all of my work has been crew and ME so far. So, I got offered the design of a small show recently. It's being produced by a guy that is pretty new to the theatre world. I ALDed his first show, that is how I got the offer. My question is: how much do I charge? I have never designed for a fee before. Of course there will be negotiations, but I don't even know where to start.
    I have no idea how much money he has, but I am sure it is very little. The space is a black box with 48 dimmers, prolly somewhere in the 100-200 seat range. The show runs 2 weekends and they are charging $20/tix. The play is realism, straight forward, should be pretty easy.

Any and all opinions appreciated,
    -Tim

2. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Well it depends...you're realtivetly new (by your own admission) and so is he. Are you going to be doing all the crew work? Will you hang focus and Q by yourself? Do you have a crew? Are you going to have to run the show? Will you get contacts/other opportunites out of the show you might not get elsewhere?

3. xander

xander Well-Known Member

Production Electrician, Programmer
    Well, he has said that there will be crew to help hang and focus. But I have a feeling I will be programming myself. I don't have to run it. My assumption is that the SM will be hitting GO. These are all things I will talk to him about during negotiations.

-Tim

4. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

pm sent