Amp advice

One thing I noticed, even though it's only a 200 seat black box, the 5.1 effect is highly localized. So it'll sound great to a half a dozen people but will be completely lost on the rest of the room.

What is the speaker setup? What is the assignment of the speakers to the DSP channels when in 5.1 mode?

Are you using a home DVD as source? It was probably remixed for home 5.1 etc sound. Movie theater sound systems have multiple speakers fed the same signal for surround left, right and rear channels.

You are getting into the deep end again on sound. The The Recording Academy's Producers & Engineers Wing Recommendations For Surround Sound Production describes several of environments used for surround sound and is the right price at free. Another good reference on movie theater speaker systems (and still free) is the JBL CINEMA SOUND SYSTEM MANUAL. These are in addition to the excellent documents SHARYNF linked.

Andre

I have four EV ZX5's and two EV ZX1's It's Currently set with the 5's for the front and the 1's as surround (with one 5 not in use). As for the DVD player... can't remember what brand it is but it has 5.1 outputs on the back of it (no need for an encoder). So I've assumed it's from the pro-line... can't remember the brand but I believe it's a fairly major player. I haven't gotten into the DVD player menu at all but it does seem likely that if it has the decoder built in it probably also has some sort of equalizer or presets built in as well. The DVD goes directly into the DSP and I can only adjust it's volume by way of my "Biamp" rotary controller on the panel.

Crap more reading! I seem to be swimming in the deep end a lot lately and there is a lot of reading involved. :)

Your experience re 5.1 in a PAC or even a small black box is very typical, and why most sound folks DON'T use it in this enviroment, it is as you are saying designed for a home type system with high a highly localised sweet spot. The theater systems while they can use a similar source, have a very different implimentation on how the speakers are placed and setup.

At least you are having fun with your new facility ;-)))

Sharyn

<Lighting guy talking audio here, now I'm gonna get a buzz in my SourceFours> How exactly does one attempt to do 5.1 in a black box 3/4 thrust/arena configuration? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't movies presented in a "proscenium" audience configuration?

Take a clue from CDS' or Love and put 5 speakers in every chair. Next time I talk with Jonathan Deans, I'll send him right over. The LCS system for your 200 seats shouldn't be too much more than the entire cost of your building, Gaff.

I have to get back to installing the 32" LCD in my sister's bedroom now. Haven't yet decided on 5.1 or 7.1, opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back