Amphitheater Spotlight Position

chawalang

I need to ask the hive mind about examples of amphitheater’s that have the spotlight towers permanently built into the space. I need to find a few examples of this for a potential project. Please let me know what venues you can think of. So far the only two that come to mind is the Starlight amphitheater in Kansas City and the Ascend amphitheater in Nashville. Though Ascend is more like two individual towers.

If you can post photos of these venues, all the better!

ANSI E1.28 - 2011 (R2021) "Guidance on planning followspot positions in places of public assembly" might be a helpful document.

Red Rocks definitely has to be on the list, TEXAS the musical (Pioneer Amphitheater) is a great venue, The Landing in Branson MO, Silver Dollar City, Worlds of Fun, we have these very military style spot towers here on our campus and I'll try to see if I can snag a photo of them as maybe an option I would not go with unfortunately... but there are lots of examples out there...

All of the A market amphitheaters and most of the B market amphitheaters have permanent follow spot positions.
Usually one of several flavors. For Amphitheaters with extended roofs over the audience, Some have catwalks over FOH (I.E. Garden State Arts Center/ PNC bank, or what ever it is called this week in Holmdale NJ), and The World Amphitheater, in Chicago, and some have baskets with ground ladders such as Merriweather Post Pavilion, in Columbia, Maryland; Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, AZ; AVA Amphitheater in Tucson, AZ.
Others have a "booth" at the back, such as Santa Barbra Bpwl, or Jones Beach
Most of the rest have anywhere from 1 to 6 freestanding towers with baskets...
The Gorge in George, WA; Oak Mountain Amphitheater in Birmingham, AL, Isleta Amphitheater, Albuquerque, NM, Hollywood bowl; The Greek, in L.A. , Sleep Train Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA; Shoreline Amphitheater, San Francisco, CA; Fiddlers Green, Denver, CO;
Plus many many more.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back