Amplifier suggestions, please...

tenor_singer

Hello,

My students have done a very good job with their fundraising this year and we are finally going to be able to purchase an amplifier. I am excited for two reasons:

1. My current amplifier is a samson S1000. My one buddy, who initially purchased the system for me, told me that it was a good amp, but a brute (meaning that it will do exactly what you tell it to do... to hell with the consequences). Purchasing a new amp will allow me to get something a bit less "brutish".

2. I will be able to use the samson as my monitor amp. Currently we do not use monitors on our stage because of a lack of an amplifier even though I have a pair of EV speakers that I am not using.

My question... what is a good amp? I am NOT technical savy, so I would be looking for ease of use.

Thanks!

Tenor

If you send some specs our way (ie peak and continuous wattages for your mains and at what ohmage ... is ohmage even a word?) we can probably give you some specific suggestions, but as far as brand name goes:

QSC
Crown
Crest

... are all excellent brands with solid track records. A bit on the pricey end but they do have their more economical models as well.

RelativeMischief said:
If you send some specs our way (ie peak and continuous wattages for your mains and at what ohmage ... is ohmage even a word?) we can probably give you some specific suggestions, but as far as brand name goes:

QSC
Crown
Crest

... are all excellent brands with solid track records. A bit on the pricey end but they do have their more economical models as well.

My main speakers are JBL MP 225:

Frequency Range: 32 Hz - 12.5 kHz (-10dB)
Frequency Response: 42 Hz - 11 kHz (+/-3 dB)
Sensitivity: 101 dB (1w/1m)
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Maximum SPL: 134 dB
Power Capacity: 500 W
Peak Power Capacity: 2000 W
Nominal Dispersion: 70° x 70°
Dimensions: 1163 mm x 465 mm x 513 mm
(45.8 in x 18.3 in x 20.2 in)
Net Weight: 45.1 kgs (99.5 lbs)
LF Driver: 2 x JBL M115-8A
HF Driver: 1 x JBL 2412H
Input Connectors: Neutrik® SpeakOn ® NL-4 (x1), ¼" phone
jack (x1), parallel
Enclosure Construction: Dark gray carpet covered, 18 mm plywood
using tongue-and-groove joint detail.
One piece SMC (sheet molding compound)
baffle with integral horn and ports.

(gotta love cut and paste)

Thanks!

Tenor

You'll want your amp pushing out between 800 and 1250 watts @ 4ohms. I followed the formula but 1250 seems a tad high for your speakers, so I personally wouldn't go as powerful as that. You have tons of amp manufactuers to choose from...(These being the most popular and widely avalable)

Crown
Crest
Lab Gruppin
QSC

The question is how much do you have to spend, the nicer amp the better quality you'll get. Cleaner power, lower harmonic distortion, more transparant sound, and (obviously) more power is what you'll find in nicer, more expensive amps. Some amps do jobs better than others, but it's often personal pref.

Here is an approximate way to find an amp to match your speakers...

Min = RMS x 2 x 0.8

Max = RMS x 2 x 1.25

I would put a QSC PLX3402 on them. However a PLX3002 would be good too. QSC has always treated me right as a company. Also the PLX are gutsy and only weigh 21 LB in 2 rack space. They have limiting and low cut filters that would work good on your speakers. I have used countless numbers of the PLX amps and none have ever faild me. I own one myself and I recently bought one for the school I work for. You should be able to find a new PLX3402 for under $1000 easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back