AMX192 Specifications?

Ben Kent

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some specifications for AMX192? I specifically need to know what type of cable is required and voltage / current used (Our electricians are asking for this info). We are having some work done in our black box theatre which is equipped with very old CD80 dimmers and they are moving some of the receptacles. I'm finding it difficult to find any of this information online.

According to the CD80 manual the recommended wire is Belden 9156.
upload_2018-5-24_12-25-7.png

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some specifications for AMX192? I specifically need to know what type of cable is required and voltage / current used (Our electricians are asking for this info). We are having some work done in our black box theatre which is equipped with very old CD80 dimmers and they are moving some of the receptacles. I'm finding it difficult to find any of this information online.
@Ben Kent From memory AMX 192 is an analog protocol carrying control data and timing for a maximum of 192 channels on 2 individually twisted pairs of 20 or 22 gauge (A data pair and a clock pair) often in a common outer jacket using XLR4 and the dreaded miniature Switchcraft TA4 connectors. One thing that caused problems for users was the fact that Strand used different pin-outs for the two types of four contact connectors leading to problems when users innocently wired XLR to TA adapters and connected them pin number to pin number in a 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and so on manner. CB member @Ron Foley sells, installs and commissions AMX192 systems all over eastern Canada if no one else gets back to you. I'll do a little digging in my files for you after lunch and update this post if I find more accurate info' for you.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Voltages are 5 VDC and currents in the milliamps. Inherently safe.

If the racks are CD80AE, they will accept DMX as well as AMX. Any CD80 rack can be retrofitted with the Johnson Systems controller, which makes them a like new and reliable system. The AMX stuff is going to fail you at some point.

the chart above is correct belden 9156
pairing is very important
with that said
4pin XLR were used for hook up cable (see chart)
make sure you do not use scroller cable, the pairing is wrong,

and later you can re use the 9156 for DMX 512 when you upgrade

Here is a copy of the original AMX192 standard.

ST

Attachments

• AMX192 8-08.pdf
    123.9 KB · Views: 389

Users who are viewing this thread

Back