According to Google there's an offline editor that can be downloaded here. No idea if it is legit or full of ransomware. Caveat emptor.
The ethernet port is listed as optional in the manual. There doesn't appear to be any documentation about how to configure an ethernet connection.

The Bijou saga continues, after sorting through a couple issues I am happy to say it is running reliably and has even been put to work at a local theater. My question now is, is there a way to update the software running on the desk. Also if there is more detailed information available for the desk. I'm hoping to find information on what various daughter boards are for and why my video interface card has two outputs, for example. Is there some other forum out there dedicated to nuts like me who still use these desks or are interested in older lighting desks in general?

That console is probably based on an off the shelf, industrial computer board with ISA peripherals. The daughter boards are probably for parallel printer ports, the DMX interface, input/output for faders, buttons, and indicators. It might have an external video card, especially since it has the proprietary, remote video on XLR.

Chances are the ethernet jack was just there because off the shelf motherboards came with one. Network printers were rare at the time, and it would not have any printer drivers for a modern one. I doubt that ethernet was used at all for a lighting system in those years.

I suggest not attempting any updates, even if you manage to find one. Performing updates in that era was not painless and reliable as it is now. Without any factory support, you could turn it into a door stop.

I would worry most about a hard drive failure. If you can find new stock of a compatible drive, and a vintage computer and software to do it with, clone the existing drive soon. A hard drive failure is inevitable.

That console is probably based on an off the shelf, industrial computer board with ISA peripherals. The daughter boards are probably for parallel printer ports, the DMX interface, input/output for faders, buttons, and indicators. It might have an external video card, especially since it has the proprietary, remote video on XLR.

Chances are the ethernet jack was just there because off the shelf motherboards came with one. Network printers were rare at the time, and it would not have any printer drivers for a modern one. I doubt that ethernet was used at all for a lighting system in those years.

I suggest not attempting any updates, even if you manage to find one. Performing updates in that era was not painless and reliable as it is now. Without any factory support, you could turn it into a door stop.

I would worry most about a hard drive failure. If you can find new stock of a compatible drive, and a vintage computer and software to do it with, clone the existing drive soon. A hard drive failure is inevitable.
Contrary to the standard, EDI made all of the components custom, the ic where the ethernet port lies is custom so it is there for a reason. Also I'm not too concerned about hard drive failure as there is none. Pictures and labels will follow

Computes EDI.jpg
This is the computing part of the lighting desk.

The photo isn't very clear, but the main board looks exactly like an industrial computer board, and it's a different color PCB substrate than the others. It wouldn't make sense for EDI to develop what they can readily buy, but the other boards would be purpose made for a lighting console. If they did make their own, it might help explain why the company isn't around anymore. There is a lot of engineering hours into making that component.

View attachment 17190 This is the computing part of the lighting desk.
Actually, EDI DID use a LOT of custom/purpose built parts. < one of the cool things about being in Intel Territory.> Used to find MOBO's, daughter boards and slider panel assemblies all the time in electronic surplus stores around town.

I don't know first hand but if you DID want to upgrade the OS I would guess it would need to be a Firmware upgrade and accomplished via a Eprom programmer/flasher.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back