Anchor Audio

wolfman005

Hi guys, looking for a bit of info. Today my pastor gave me a Anchor Liberty MPB-4500 and an accompanying companion speaker. He told me it was broken and that after you turn the volume up, it would auto shut off. I plugged it in and that is the case. At first I thought it would be thermalling out, but with the companion speaker disconnected, you can raise the input volume more before it shuts off. There do not appear to be any shorts or cold soldiers on the PCBs that would cause it to shut off. Based on some googling, it seems like this can happen when the battery has reached the end of it's lifespan. Can you confirm that this is likely the problem? It's a great little system that I would love to be able to send out on vocal only gigs like trivia nights and the likes. For such events, battery power is not needed and I'd like to do away with the batteries if possible as they add about 20 lbs to the system. When disconnecting the battery it still shuts off after going over a certain amount so I'm guessing that the power supply is not rated for driving the amp as much as it is just helping the batteries limp through a gig if they are low. Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated. I did email Anchor but I figured it can't hurt to pool the collective resources of CB.
Thanks for your time!
-Aaron

Likely best to give Anchor audio a call
Hours of Operation

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 6:30am - 4:00pm PST
800.262.4671 | Fax: 760.827.7105 | Email: [email protected]
If you have any technical support or product return questions please contact Technical Support (Jaime Mendoza) at 800.262.4671 Ext. 115

Thanks @venuetech . I did give anchor a call and their service department was surprisingly helpful. I didn't expect them to tell me as much as they did, but it seems that they no longer service these speakers. They said it would be very easy to modify to run off pure mains voltage so that is what I'll be doing.
-Aaron
Apologies for reviving an old thread... @wolfman005 Were you able to modify your speaker to run without the battery, and if so, would you be able to talk me through how you did it? I contacted tech support at anchoraudio and they were willing to send me a schematic, but were not able to provide any other assistance.

Thanks!

I never got around to modifying them to run off AC. I wouldn't recommend attempting to do any modifications involving mains power unless you know what you are doing.

What I ended up doing was removing the entire amp assembly and putting a piece of wood with a 1/4" jack in its place and just running the speakers off a regular amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back