Ancient ETC insight 2

Blake

I am used to an Ion so this is a Lil dated! PS I am doing little shop!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367292149346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367292149346.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 591
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367292164225.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367292164225.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 433
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367292182574.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367292182574.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 433
You're calling "ancient" an item that may be the exact same age as you are? :naughty:
It's not even yet "vintage." (BTW, "patina"=expensive dirt.)

Don Rickles used to say, when bringing someone under thirty on stage, "I have socks older than you."
While cleaning out my parents' house, I found some drawings I did in 1980-81.
Thus I can now officially say, "I have light plots older than you." If I can figure out a way to scan them, I'll post some on here.

... But I do respect the fact that this board is still running!
ControlBooth Contest Time!

A lovely prize will be presented to the CB member who can document the oldest ETC console still in regular use.*

*Prize awarded solely at derekleffew's discretion. Employees/staff of ETC and CB not eligible. Offer void where prohibited. May not be available in all fifty states. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Mileage may vary.

Do AVAB consoles qualify? I have a 211 in the rehearsal room that is still working. Sadly, it is not in regular use so not eligible for the contest.

Do LMI consoles count as well? You know, CH2, CH200, CH5, Designer, Acclaim??? They don't have to....

Older ETC consoles have a manufacture date in their serial number sticker [pics might be good submissions of proof] and true LMI consoles, if they count, have only a small sticker and number with no date.

Good Luck!

David

The Insight is the console that we use in our smaller space. I've used that console for hundreds of shows over the last 3 1/2 years. The funny thing is that despite the fact that it's "ancient", I love that console for that space. It's an entirely conventional rig and 99% of the shows in there are lit live with no recorded cue stacks, so there's nothing that I need it to do that it can't do. But the thing I love about it most is the beautiful bank of 108 faders. With two spaces in our venue, if we're double-booked someone besides me will be lighting the small space, someone who isn't in on a regular basis and will probably not be intimately familiar with the rig. With 108 faders on the console, now no one has to know numbers because every fixture is on a handle. I can drop someone in the room who's never seen it before and everything they need is all laid out in front of them, meaning that I can go back to my show in the big space upstairs without having to spend all night babysitting them. And that's invaluable to me.

Besides, until you've run a show on a Leprechaun two-scene preset with no monitor don't talk to me about running shows on ridiculous boards. Welcome to my next weekend's hell.

I'm going to go with whatever board the West End's production of "The Mousetrap" is using, since they don't typically update gear on long running shows.

Technically, no. But if you can find a Channel Track working, in regular use, I have a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni for you.

...My ETC history could be fubar as well.
http://www.controlbooth.com/wiki/Collaborative+Articles:Memory+Lighting+Control+Systems+History , but may not include ALL potential ETC candidates.

To win, the console must be a native-born Middletonian. No AVAB or LMI.

All submissions must be received by 05/31/13.

Last edited:
Computerized 48/96 boards are great. Maybe I'm weird but I actually like that kind of console better than the Element/Ion type equipment for entirely conventional setups. Miserable for anything more intelligent than LEDs and scrollers, but for the basics, I love them. Since you don't even need to use the monitor, they're the ultimate in portability, too!

Does the encoder wheel on the Leprecon at least work, or is to too low end even for that?

Leprecon? If you're talking about the wheel on the Insight, I'm not sure about the particulars but I did use an Expression 3 in high school which had two similar wheels (x,y). I used them mostly for grabbing and adjusting levels of individual fixtures/groups. Never did anything with it beyond that, but I can say that no, they are not purely decorative in that it will adjust DMX values. It'll adjust the hell out of 'em.

Last edited:
QotD?

To win, the console must be a native-born Middletonian AND branded Electronic Theatre Controls/ETC. No AVAB or LMI.

along a simliar vein...

I have an Insight 1. It's usually used as the backup, secondary console when our main console (Element 60/500) is in use and or downstairs for a major production. The Insight then gets used for classes, managing house lights and just a couple of channels on stage for lecture and small school events.

Recently our old honky monitor for it refused to turn on, lucklly i remebered the key strokes to load the correct softpatch from the disk.
Any thoughts on who could take a look at the monitor, find a replacement, or alternative in the NY, north NJ area.

I won't be doing a show there again for a while, but I've used in the last 12 months a MicrovisionFX driving a ETC D/A unit running some analog TTI dimmers. Its still in active use as of March. And that console is in an auditorium owned by a school with a theater degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back