Angled support from 1" tubing - Attachment method

CPLD

I'm building a standing prop/furniture piece primarily out of wood and need to support it vertically.
People will lean against it, so while it doesn't need to be rated for full body weight (let alone multiple) it does need to be stable with a couple hundred pounds of leaning/vertical weight
It leans like an easel stand, but has multiple standing positions at different angles, so the vertical supports are probably going to be telescoping tube/pipe to support the various heights.
They will attach I'm not as concerned about the structural limits of the tubing, as much as how am I going to attach the tubing to the wood.

I'll share my current requirements for the attachments and some ideas I've had so far:
-Attachment points (top/bottom of each pipe) need to have some minor angle adjustment, maybe 30° L/R and preferably 120° vertical.
-Need to be detachable - The hardware can live on the wood, but the tubing needs to be removable somehow for storage and transport
-Needs to support up to 200-300lbs probably. One point won't ever take all the weight, but
-even better if the hardware is sorta low-profile to prevent damage etc.

I'm looking at either some sort Ball/socket Joint attachment with the ball on the tube and a socket on the wood so there is rotational ability.
The closest I've found is hardware for Bimini Tops used on small boating craft. 316L stainless steel. But none of it is rated by the manufacturers, so while it probably handles loads (from wind) over 100lbs, there's no documentation to support it...
Here's some examples.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WGZ56C/?tag=controlbooth-20

Happy to answer any questions, I know some of this is confusing.
Thanks for any suggestions ControlBooth!

What about 1/2" drive (or even 3/4" drive) socket parts, as in mechanic's tools? A universal joint would provide a lot of angular slop, one of those rounded head things a modest amount. Like the bimini tops they aren't specifically rated for the load, but in use need to withstand a lot of torque and a fair bit of radial force (as when leaning on a breaker bar) and, particularly if used with an impact gun, a good bit of axial force in one direction.

Hey @DrewE thanks for the reply!
I think I'd need to see pics of what parts you're referring to, though I am looking into universal hinges too (trying to find something that mounts to a flat wood surface)
Are you talking about the universal hinge socket adapters that you can use for hard-to-reach bolts? That's definitely an idea, I'd have to see about how to mount them to wood.
Maybe a 1/2-3/4" socket slot embedded in the wood? And then it pops into the hole and secures with the ball-bearings....hmmmmm

I was thinking of those universal joint/universal hinge socket adapters.

Offhand I'd think the easiest way to attach a socket set...something would be to mutilate a socket extension (cut it in half) and attach the rod part to the wood somehow, say by epoxying it into a hole or constructing some sort of a clamping arrangement. I suppose with access to a metal lathe one might be able to cut threads and bolt it on, though that's rather beyond my own abilities or know-how.

How any legs overall? Is it like a tripod? Does it matter if it "chatters" - like an eye in an eye might? Some idea of what is being supported would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back