Angled Walls & Cost

Timmyp

Hi there,

I am currently designing the set for a theatre workshop that will be taking place in a few months time.

The play is set in an attic/loft, which to me, means sloping ceilings, a couple of skylights etc.

I am looking at creating a box set style set, the stage is small (6m across, 8m deep) and the borders are approximately 3.5m high. I have two fly bars, but only 1m fly height, one is about 3.5m from the front of the apron, the other is about 5m.

Currently my idea is to create a series of flats which will sit on the floor, and be attached to the second flybar, enabling them to tip forwards creating a slope.

Firstly is this a good method? Or would you not advise it?

Secondly, do you have any other ideas that could be cheaper?

Is there any way of doing this using cloths rather than solid flats?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give. If I can get my scanner working I'll upload a few sketches showing what I'd like (probably more useful than my descriptions).

Timmy P

First, you will want to build hollywood/studio flats, not typical muslin flats. Also, I would build them with double the amount of material then usual to keep flex to a minimum. Obviously you will need to bolt them into the deck to keep them from slipping out. How tall are you looking to go, with that we can give you some more details.

I understnd the intent of your question, but I think you might be approaching it backwards. I always tell designers, " Show my a sketch, I'll tell you how we'll build it." There are a ton of other variables that will go into the decision of soft vs. hard flats, Studio vs. Broadway. If the flats actually meet in the center, ie we see the area where the ridge beam would be, then you may not need to tie into the battens above. Is this a finished attic space or raw framing ? Never limit yourself by starting a design process with," Yeah, but how are we going to build it?" Draw you dream then scale down from there.

I understnd the intent of your question, but I think you might be approaching it backwards. I always tell designers, " Show my a sketch, I'll tell you how we'll build it." There are a ton of other variables that will go into the decision of soft vs. hard flats, Studio vs. Broadway. If the flats actually meet in the center, ie we see the area where the ridge beam would be, then you may not need to tie into the battens above. Is this a finished attic space or raw framing ? Never limit yourself by starting a design process with," Yeah, but how are we going to build it?" Draw you dream then scale down from there.

Agreed. I won't even let a designer know what the budget for a show is, I always want a full set of drawings before we start hacking it down. They usually know were-abouts we are in the funds/time/labor department, but never exacly how much cash we have.

Just be careful if you're hanging angled flats...make sure you get rigging rated for overhead lifting (no quick trips to home depot) especially if you are using hollywood flats, what with all the extra weight chillin' over the actor's heads.

Addressing Footer4321's comment about flex, if you have rafters or I-beams above your space, you can add lines from the attic ceiling to the rafters to reduce the flex. These would be hidden by the angled ceiling itself. If you can't use extra lines for some reason, you could mask support beams on the stage itself with old boxes, trunks, wardrobes etc. All things that would be in an attic normally...just some ideas

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)
Van I shall do what you said and design my 'dream' before cutting it down.
Aaron I'll make sure that everything is rated to the necessary spec, and it's also a good idea to add those lines to help the suspension.
Thanks a lot,
Tim

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)
Van I shall do what you said and design my 'dream' before cutting it down.
Aaron I'll make sure that everything is rated to the necessary spec, and it's also a good idea to add those lines to help the suspension.
Thanks a lot,
Tim
You're welcome and know that if you have questions ,once it's designed we're here to help. Like I said, " You show me what you want, I'll tell you how to build it."
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back