Animated Projections

Robert F Jarvis

Director wants to buy Animated Projections videos for "The Adams Family". They recommend "vMix" but I thought this was more of a live camera feed mixer? Some time back I had a similar situation with "The Music Man" and think I ended up using "Pro Presenter". Question: who is using what for such animated backgrounds? We're a not for profit fully volunteer outfit so cost is important. Oh yeh I forgot - I heard this tonight and its two weeks 'till we open. Do you love directors?

For repeating video on a loop, I used a raspberry pi running looper It loads whatever video from a thumb drive and feeds a projector. Cheap and effective.. 12 dollar motherboard. Micro sd card...We used a simple manually operated shutter from the projection point to start and stop at the right time. For a series of projections, I believe the pro version of Show Cue Systems will let you stack and cue both stills and videos on a PC. It’s still pretty cheap software, but very powerful. I have only used it for audio cues, but it’s very versatile for that.

Our software Cue Player Premium Plus will run looped and single projections. We know of at least one client who ran the purchased projection package of 'Lion King' with great success.
As a different concern, how is it you are opening a show during the pandemic? Or did the forum accidentally revive an old post?

jtweigandt
Aha! My old friend RPI. I even ran QCPlus on one with the Wizard Demon (Whatever) Pi/DMX strap on (got it from Finland). I just found that MS PowerPoint and Open Office presenter working with the test clips. To use though I would have to stitch loops together to make a long enough presence. I also found the SCS I used for Music Man a few years back. Problem is remembering how to cross fade. But thanks for the input. PS The micro Pi also has a great little audio board you can piggy back.

dbaxter
You see from the above I've both SCS and PowerPoint to work on presently. The $99 for your CPPP looks good but I would want to run a demo version before buying. I've used SCS some time back but find it a bit pedantic cross fading etc. Is CPPP simpler to setup? And, as we are using both a rear cyc and a down stage cyc at different times during the show I'd have to be happy we could run the software on two machines. As to the theater: We are allowed to open with 50% capacity (so doing some live streaming) and the theater has to have a 'one way' system for traffic. Though with the way Florida is going I wouldn't be surprised if the whole place got locked down tight again.

It's a signed installer package, so it shouldn't be flagging any problems. I don't know what browser and anti-virus you're running, but if it's just that you're getting the blue screen that advises against running it, you can click the "Run anyway" to do the install. Prior to March, over a hundred people a month were doing the download. Let me know if you continue to have issues and we'll work them out.

It was just MS being pedantic. I managed to load it but don't think I have the time to go through a learning curve with only days to run. Actually it looks more suited to audio file handling. MS PowerPoint is fading, looping etc so I'll work with it on this show. And when I have more time I will come back and take another look. Thanks.

Good luck with your show, Robert. Let us know how many people get sick for Gov. DeSantis's denial.

Often PP is all you need.

Make sure that you have permission to do the live streaming. Just getting rights to do the production does not inherently give you the rights to stream it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back