Annie Glass Gobo

I would suggest ponying up for one from one of the major manufacters. Or renting a Selecon for your run and printing one up on acetate. You never know what condition some people keep their glass gobo's in.

Didn't we have a discussion about whether or not it was a copyright violation to use a show's logo as a gobo? I can't find it, and don't remember the outcome. Perhaps kelite can help to illuminate.

From MTI (which happens to license Annie):
Logos, like other elements of a production are covered by copyright and trademark law. Generally the rights to an original logo used on Broadway will be controlled by the artist, or in some cases by the producer if the artist produced the logo on a "for hire" basis. Using the original logo without obtaining permission is prohibited. [Emphasis mine.] Many organizations design their own logos, and MTI also has obtained rights to license certain logos. Logos can legally be used in conjunction with the promotion of a show - on posters, programs and flyers. If an organization is looking to create merchandise, such as t-shirts, mugs, key chains, etc. that will be sold to the public, a separate licensing agreement must be obtained, which can be difficult. As soon as someone begins making money based on the "name" of a show, then the author(s) become entitled to a share of the profit, and also have the power to control whether or not such merchandise may be disseminated.
I'm guessing this is the logo you want?
proxy.php

Last edited:
As the largest manufacturer of custom gobos across the fruited plain, we tread cautiously when determining which stock, or catalog patterns we offer. Requests to include show / team / personality logos in to the Apollo catalog arrive frequently. Copyright and trademark law deters manufacturers from producing mugs, shirts, gobos, and other products for general consumption unless a royalty is paid. To obey copyright and trademark law, these recognizable show / team / personality logos and patterns may be produced however as custom patterns using artwork submitted by the purchaser. It is recognized and implied that artwork received via email, fax, glossy slick, etc, has been approved by the copyright and/or trademark owner.

Word of advice- please contact the owner of the logo and request written permission to use it as an advertising aid to your show. They (the owner/s of the logo) actually desire that the various licencees' shows succeed, thus providing future potential theater enquiries to licence that particular show in the future...

*whew

If someone out there in CB world has an 'Annie' gobo, they would certainly be allowed to loan non-gratis the unit, as long as a profit was not being made without a cut going to the licencing dept of MTI. (Sorry- I don't make the rules, but rather try earnestly to understand and obey them.)

Didn't we have a discussion about whether or not it was a copyright violation to use a show's logo as a gobo? I can't find it, and don't remember the outcome. Perhaps kelite can help to illuminate.

From MTI (which happens to license Annie):
I'm guessing this is the logo you want?
proxy.php

Now that you mention it I think we did though for the life of me I can't remember where.

Heed both Kelite and Derek's advice and completly ignore mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back