Another 360Q question

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
All the Lekos we have at my school are older 360Q's. Being as they've been around for a while, I haven't been able to find any markings regarding what type of lenses they have. What can i do to figure this out? Specifically, how would I know what kind of replacement lense to buy for a 360Q that is missing its front lense? Also, I have a 360Q with one 4 1/2 " lense and a 1000w bulb, is that normal?

i believe that the 360Q's are only rated up to 750watts, not 1000watts.

1000 kind of seemed liked a big number to me too, but I wasn't even reasonably sure.

To figure out what lenses your lekos take without too much research, I would just take a tape measure up there. Measure from the back of the bell housing to the gel frame. (If you're looking at a 360Q, it will be about 1.5" behind the hanging bracket, or where the curve starts) A 6 x 12 will be 12". Obviously the measurement isn't actually the length of the barrell itself, its actually the the measurement from the focal point to the front lens. (The focal point of a 360Q will be about 1.5 - 2" behind the hanging bracket.)
That instrument with the 4.5" lens was actually a 4.5 x 6.5. I believe it's around 50-60 degrees. But you will want to take that 1,000 watt lamp out and replace it with a 500, 575, or 750.

360Q's do fit an FEL lamp, though you shouldnt put it in. its just one of those things that fits but shouldnt be there. youll fry out the base over time and kill the unit in general, not to mention the fire hazard.

The Altman site really is a wealth of info, I feel a bit silly for not checking out their pdf's in the first place. :)

i really hope that was sarcastic. i havent been able to find anything of use on that site.

OOOH... I just remembered, e-mail Altman for support documents and they will send you(in the mail) what I like to call the "Altman bible". It is a binder full of all the spec sheets for all their products currently in production.

Well, by using their downloadable pdf files I was able to 'interpret" the information I needed.

First off, this has been mentioned in multiple posts, the 360Q is not rated for the FEL lamp and will cause a degrading in parts rapidly and a voiding of the warranty if it has not already expired. As if for lenses, a single 360Q(say 6x12) would use a pair of the same lens. When you go to order them they will say in the info about each lense (f)=front, (b)=both, (R)=rear; (B) means the lenses are the same, the 6x22 i believe is a single lens fixture. All of the others use 2 lenses.

My HS always used FEL's in our 360q's. Exactly what type of lamp degredation would happen? We did have issues with one bulb base, but that was out of 26 fixtures, all outfitted with 1000 watt bulbs. We had a mix of brand new and older lights (15-20 years old). The older lamps were pieces of crap, very low light emmision. The new ones after a year of use were still at or near the original light output. Also, what bulbs should they be using? Do lower wattage bulbs ( a 750 im assuming) signifigantly reduce the light output?

do a search into "FEL" on this website. I for one am about posted out in saying how barbaric a FEL lamp in a Leko is. In 575w, Osram HPR lamps, any GLC or in 750w Philllips #6981P lamps and Ushio HX-800 lamps will out preform that of the FEL.

GLA lamps or GLE lamps will also do so but with a longer lamp life.

Cannot or won't beging to speak of how a FEL is a inefficient lamp.

Well at best the fixtures will operate until the lamp fries the socket and needs to be replaced. At worst, the reflector can be completely melted and a lens could possibly crack. Do what ship says. GLA/HPR lamps put out lots more light than the FEL any way.

All the Lekos we have at my school are older 360Q's. Being as they've been around for a while, I haven't been able to find any markings regarding what type of lenses they have. What can i do to figure this out? Specifically, how would I know what kind of replacement lense to buy for a 360Q that is missing its front lense? Also, I have a 360Q with one 4 1/2 " lense and a 1000w bulb, is that normal?

A 1000W bulb?! you kidding, that is dangerous, surprising the unit hasn't actually fallen apart or had a lens crack yet, considering that an altman 360Q is rated for no more that a 750w: EHG, EHF, HPR, or 750w HX lamp.

Not advised, to be sure. It's not so uncommon a practice in the industry, though. We purchased all of our 360Qs used from two rental houses (as they were coverting over to S4s). All of them that came from one large rental house were lamped with FEL. Those from another shop were lamped with EHG.

The instruments are not UL-listed for 1000 watt.

It was quite a while before we got around to converting all our 360Qs to the new style reflector kit and GLA lamps. We had no more trouble with burnt pins in the sockets than "normal" (and less that another nearby venue that used all EHGs). No cracked lenses, or other dire events. Perhaps the shutters took an extra beating.

Still, I would recommend you avoid using FELs in the 360Qs.

OOOH... I just remembered, e-mail Altman for support documents and they will send you(in the mail) what I like to call the "Altman bible". It is a binder full of all the spec sheets for all their products currently in production.

What do I ask for when I e-mail customer support? Also, do they include the service and parts manuals and the product data sheets?

The units are not rated for 1000w FEL lamps, but the practice of lamping them with such is, in my experience, pretty standard. Also, depending on how old the 360Q is, the glass that the lens is made of is different. While i don't think that putting the newer glass and the older glass together makes any difference on the optics (except making the beam have less of a green color) it might be something to ask about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back