Another ebay oddity.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Used to have several of those in Rental stock at a place I used to work. Good old work horse blacklights. Heck I'd buy em for $20.00.

Westinghouse 100w E14 Projector Flood.

Westinghouse as a brand stopped making lamps at least in the 1990's (they as a company pre-date any of my own catalog lamp/specs collecting.) Abco/Westinghouse company that now owns the Westinghouse brand name is not related to the lamp in the photo.

Looks as if the blue coating on the outside of the bulb is similar to what might be found on an Osram/Sylvania dichroic colored lamp if memory serves. The close up to the lamp could in theory be a bracket around a more normal PAR 38 flood lamp to mount a roundel to it. Could be an after market thing or something Westinghouse added to this “projector flood” lamp in coloring it mor making for a black light blue lamp.

E14 is kind of disturbing, this clearly looks as if a Medium Skirted Screw Lamp, in other words a classic example of a E26/50x39 for those interested in the lamp spec definition.

Love the cannon ball fixture to mount it, really cool looking and perfect for the grass. This really is a PAR ball as opposed to various PAR balls I have that either mount the lamp inside the ball, or mount the lamp within the ball but have a stand about it the ball pivots on.

These cannon balls no doubt weigh as much as a cannon ball in weighting the non-grounded fixture/lamp down.

I would say this or these fixtures with the lamp are well worth the asking price.

Nice link but DeAngilo/Abco ain't Westinghouse. It's as if Strand were Leko in being just a name they bought out. Abco as I still call them is a decent brand just not the same.

Before like the mid-1990's or early 2000's Abco and Westinghouse as if Leviton and NSI/Colortran were different companies. Abco bought out Westinghouse that's an ancient lamp company and took over that name for their lamp division. No longer the same lamp makers, just as if it were a Strand Leko, it's not a Century Leko, it's now a Strand Leko.

Have a look for this lamp I have in stock on the current Westinghouse website which is the same websit Abco used to have.

#7400 Westinghouse PAR 36, (SBL) Incd. (5̊x12̊) 35w/12.8v MP Mol 2.3/4"/300hr

Not going to find it... This not just because it is discontinued but because Abco never made this lamp. What is Abco is now called Westinghouse, but it's not, it's still Abco.

its basically the same thing that happend with SBC and AT&T... AT&T got bought out by SBC and SBC took the name and claimed they were there for ages... well they were only really there for a couple years before buying AT&T and taking the name and the credit for all the previous ages of work... and now another company has bought out "AT&T" and just took the name... so AT&T now isn't what it was 10 years ago, its been a couple different companies in fact.

Huh, could you elaborate?

westinghouse name has been sold to many different company's, all that make different things. Some chinese company has bought the name and now sells LCD TV's under the name. The company no longer exist, but people still connect it to good products from way back when, so the name still has a good price tag.

westinghouse name has been sold to many different company's, all that make different things. Some chinese company has bought the name and now sells LCD TV's under the name. The company no longer exist, but people still connect it to good products from way back when, so the name still has a good price tag.

Did Westinghouse used to make industrial electrical equipment years ago? I believe I have seen that label on components I have seen while exploring abandoned factories.

Yep, Westinghouse was like #2 domestically to GE way back when in producing all sorts of things. IN fact, Edison and Westinghouse I believe by way of history were cometing for AC verses DC power, Westinghouse won by way of AC power. While ABCO is a good company, it is a shame they have had so many years without a leader or source to their history. ABCO DeAngelo brothers is a decent enough company (sometimes wee problems but not much and they at least started out domestic.) Them buying out what's left of that brand name however is much for me the same as Strand calling their fixtures a Leko. This for me again is 100% comperable. Strand makes a good fixture, so did Century, what is made under the name Leko today is not a Leko by name or comperable in some kind of style to it.

Triva question, Just opened up that Chicago Stage Lighting fixture tonight and it had a 1K Mazda G-48 lamp in it. When did Mazda go under, who bought them out and what's up overall with them as another often even more famous company for stage lighting lamps. In fact, one that the GE lamp classification system for lamps by decription code is credited to?

I pulled both lamps from the fixtures, it would seem you are very correct and it seems to be a good way of dating not persay a fixture but the lamps in them at least. Exact same markings on both the G-40 1Kw mogul screw base and 2Kw mogul screw base lamps only some of the writing on them is different.

In this case, both have the GE symbol at the center, both have at the bottom of the symbol Base Down to Horz., on the Mazda lamp it says "Spotlight" first than below it Mazda (probably much to do with a smaller dia. to write it within.) The other 2Kw/120v theorized to be newer lamp has General Electric, than Spotlight. Same font and size to all lettering otherwise and very similar if not the same to a modern off the shelf 400G40Spot lamp from GE.

So as opposed to the photo industry where you would have a say #1 PhotoFlood, or Fulchs Text reference number to these lamps, we have the Mazda as the better quality standard and one that's standardized for the industry much similar to the ANSI system or even GE/Thorn's HX system. Why Mazda for these #26 verses #28 lamps based on the Mazda system?

Further questions. Given these medium or mog. screw lamps in use, I'm noting that none of the fixtures of that era have reflectors in them. Why is this?

Further question, washing lenses in the dish washer works out really well. How about also doing so with lamps such as these?

Don't dish washers also dry the dishes? You a good kid and at times even brilliant but were you my assistant, it would be time for a well disserved smack upside the back of the head. Yes, it's a concept in part in having something about drying in part if not more substantial if you could only think past corrosion, but not what you stated. Think about lamps, think about how a dish washer works and those parts you talk about. Whats' going on inside the dish washer, and how is the lamp assembled? What potential problems in theory related or not could the dish washer have?

Yes, it's a concept in part in having something about drying in part if not more substantial if you could only think past corrosion, but not what you stated.
Friction caused by thermal expansion could open stress lines left in the lamp from the molding process?
This would most likely result in relatively clean cuts, rather than shattering.

Mole-Richardson Sun-Arc housing fitted with a Mazda G-48 2K Lamp. The fixture later made to utilize that lamp was called the Sunspot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back