• Believe it or not, this is the fifth major update of ControlBooth in the past 16 years. This new version is more mobile friendly, and brings the site up to more modern standards. There will be more features rolling out soon, but the core of the site is done.

Another - no. 4 of 6 currently in Mississippi

BillConnerFASTC

I remain fascinated on the design choices as well. Other than insist on certain clear dimensions and pretty specific framing overhead for rigging, I stay out of other basic choices. Steel frame, pre-cast, poured and reinforced concrete (twice - once in Guyaquil (sp?) Ecuador where labor is close to free), block, light guage steel (studs), pre-engineered metal buildins a(Butler buildings - a personal speciality)t, frame (my favorite) - it's based on the beliefs and convictions of others on the design team.....and budget. Can't beat steel frame, block walls, and brick veneer IMHO.

Two in current in Mississippi unusual - the built stage house first, roof on one before foundations for rest of PAC. Not common but makes sense for schedule.

I do love the construction trailer life and boots and mud. If someone had told me about civil engineering and building canals and dams and railroads in far off foreign lands when I was in high school, I'd be there now. I love the logistics and planning if that big stuff. Planning. Anticipating what will be needed when. Exciting. Sorry for the digression. Comes from just sending my last ever set of drawings and specs out for bidding. Now just doing construction administration and planning wilderness trips, primarily solo trips. (Looking at sat phones and very light weight laptops so I can keep up on projects under construction.)

BillConnerFASTC

Not obvious at all. I was on site Wednesday and asked because of your asking.

I tend to rely on structural engineers to know what they are doing, so after making sure they have the design loads I provide, all I do is review sizes and spacing and details for block mounting.

Jay Ashworth

Absolutely.

While the direct consequences are usually less in IT, thinking ahead to all the ways something could break is what I've done for years, so I tend to do it everywhere.

BillConnerFASTC

Got these today. Love drone photos of projects! Fast progress it seems to me. Thats art classrooms (and culinary) unroofed to left; lobby floor - no structure yet - at top; auditorium and stage moving down; unroofed shop/black box below stage; and four large music rehearsal rooms - choral to left of shop without roof; small band, large band, and percussion (I think) right to left at bottom. (Drawing calls them BAND 2, BAND 1, and BAND 3.) Offices, uniform storage, and practice rooms buffer band rooms

upload_2019-10-10_11-30-31.png

upload_2019-10-10_11-30-48.png

BillConnerFASTC

Define relevant engineering? I showed the location and details affecting stage equipment - flange widths and clearance and such - as well as locations and sizes of catwalks and suggested or typical details. Similar for stage floor and pit. BUT I am not an engineer and cannot engineer the building systems which by law require professional engineers.

What did you have in mind in particular?

BillConnerFASTC

Generous rigging pit where motors go - some noise benefit and out of the way. Easy to anchor to concrete - reinforced and thickened floor, 12" walls. But you could also put packaged hoists - like Prodigy or PowerLift - underhung - with power heads on opposite side - where there is a catwalk 8' under steel.