Mixers/Consoles Another reason to go M32 rather than X32

Maybe, but just carrying the Allen&Heath name will all but insure it won't be rider friendly for the foreseeable future.

Back when the D-Live was new I had a touring mixperson say "the only thing wrong with that console is the name on it." Granted he was not a touring *theatre* mixer, but ...

I've been in the biz 35+ years and I'm still not sure what model it was that gave A-H such a lousy reputation, but I don't recall either owning one, hearing one, or mixing on one, so it was either more than 35 years ago or there is more to the story (like "no Peavey" being there to sort out the providers that are unlikely to have the chops or support gear to pull off a "real show").

There is a bunch of discussion about this new model line going on at ProSoundWeb forums. What the SQ appears to be is a Qu on vitamins and maybe a steroid or 2.... but it's not a huge game changer either for the low end console SOTA or even for A-H. It's a cute lil bugger, though. The open question for most users here at Control Booth is how it handles scene automation and cues and, until someone sets hands on one, we'll be guessing.

Back when the D-Live was new I had a touring mixperson say "the only thing wrong with that console is the name on it." Granted he was not a touring *theatre* mixer, but ...

I've been in the biz 35+ years and I'm still not sure what model it was that gave A-H such a lousy reputation, but I don't recall either owning one, hearing one, or mixing on one, so it was either more than 35 years ago or there is more to the story (like "no Peavey" being there to sort out the providers that are unlikely to have the chops or support gear to pull off a "real show").

There is a bunch of discussion about this new model line going on at ProSoundWeb forums. What the SQ appears to be is a Qu on vitamins and maybe a steroid or 2.... but it's not a huge game changer either for the low end console SOTA or even for A-H. It's a cute lil bugger, though. The open question for most users here at Control Booth is how it handles scene automation and cues and, until someone sets hands on one, we'll be guessing.

The GL line from A&H was actually pretty decent small club console. Still had some stupidness, but it worked.

I've heard that the next line of Midas pro consoles is going to borrow more from the X32 software stack vs Pro series.

The MAP for the SQ5 is $ 2799, the SQ6 is $ 3499. Lots of activity at the A & H facebook page.

Whoa, Glad you pointed this out. I just recently Used a GLD80/112, and after some learning pains ended up quite liking it. Maybe it's just because my LS9 -32 is getting a little long in the tooth for digital consoles. But this new SQ6 seems like an impossibly priced console for what is in it's back end. I guess it has only one card slot less then the GLD112, and a smaller form factor, but I think it' fits the inbetween small pro niche really well. I generally want at least 32 control channels, but find 16 faders to be too few. 24 faders is a nice form factor especially when paired with 48 channels of control and lots of on-board/out-board IO. Paired with Dante card for DAW capture and playback (qlab) I'm not sure what more i'd want in the console.

Whoa, Glad you pointed this out. I just recently Used a GLD80/112, and after some learning pains ended up quite liking it. Maybe it's just because my LS9 -32 is getting a little long in the tooth for digital consoles. But this new SQ6 seems like an impossibly priced console for what is in it's back end. I guess it has only one card slot less then the GLD112, and a smaller form factor, but I think it' fits the inbetween small pro niche really well. I generally want at least 32 control channels, but find 16 faders to be too few. 24 faders is a nice form factor especially when paired with 48 channels of control and lots of on-board/out-board IO. Paired with Dante card for DAW capture and playback (qlab) I'm not sure what more i'd want in the console.

Hi Nick-

If you're thinking about replacing your LS/9 I suggest you keep your eyes open for the next 90 days (roughly). We have Winter NAMM & Musik Messe as well as the theater trade shows coming up. That's traditionally where new products get introduced and I suspect A-H were jumping the shark with the announcement of the SQ.

A-H has upped their game and are building some nice consoles that deserve audition and a demo... but I'd wait to see what else is introduced. BTW, rumor is the first USA shipment of SQ are sold out...

Thanks for the heads up. Well the SQ will maybe fill the role as a personal console to go do high-school shows with. I'm settled in nicely with the LS9 at my Venue but for competitive price points of the market now I'm keeping my eyes open still.

I use LS9/32 (and LS9/16) mostly as well.

Paired with Dante card for DAW capture and playback (qlab) I'm not sure what more i'd want in the console.

I would love the SG6 at least to go 64 channels.
And last I saw the D-live series, it had some latency when changing scenes, making it a no go for me in musicals. (the DCA kinds locked while the GUI changed, not smart for someone often chenging scene midfade) - ps: when I use DCA naturally I talk consoles like CL5 ;)

So 64 channels on SG6, and able to change scene unhindered while doing fades would make it a bigger competitor when I go out to replace the LS9. :)

I remember a post not long ago on one of the sound forums about lagging scene changes on both Soundcraft TF and QL consoles. I would think this would be a major issue for theater use. The person with the TF5 said it could take up to 1.7 seconds for the next scene to load.

Aye that is what I experienced as well when testing the TF series.
Tested the Roland M5000 at some point, and sadly it has 1-2 sec's change time as well.

So far I have not run a show on a QL1/5, only the CL series.

I have yet to use any Soundcraft for musicals, but have been told you need to down them from time to time, kinda reinstall firmware/defrag or they will start to get noticable latency in scene changes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back