The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Another, "So, I'm Looking For" thread

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by zac850, Jul 31, 2007.

1. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

Hello All,
    I'm doing a small install for an up and coming dinner theater, and I am having trouble finding the control that I want.

I'm looking for a small lighting console, 5 to 6 channels, with a build in dimmer. Easy to find, I know. However, I would like this console to have at least 6 preset buttons.

I have never seen a console with internal dimmers that also has preset buttons. Does anyone know if they are made?

If I can't find this, then I'll just end up with a small NSI console (I'm using the MC1616 now) and add a small dimmer pack. However, it would be better if they were contained together.

So, has anyone heard of a console that matches this description?

Thanks a lot guys and gals!
    Zac Spitzer

2. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Interesting. I am curious as to the desire for an "all in one" unit. Used to see a lot of those back in the 70's and 80's but they are so inflexible to change. (EX- remodeling and the desire to move a board without rerouting power.) There are plenty of simple two piece setups you could go with. For example, the Elation Stage Setter-8 has 8 channels with full controls for two scenes and 8 additional pre-programmable scenes. That could be coupled with the RMD-620 for six 2400 watt dimmers, or RMD-1210 for 12 independently patchable 1200 watt dimmers. This would allow any combination of dimmers soft-patched to any board channels.

3. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to do an all-in-one system because the 'booth' is a corner of the bar, and I really don't have any good place to put a separate dimmer. I'm sure I could make an external dimmer pack work, but in terms of space, it would be beneficial to have it all self-contained.

Of course, I've never seen an all-in-one system with presets, so, hence the question.

4. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

Get a PLAYBACK-8 rackmount console, and put it in a rack with a rack dimmer. The playback-8 will give 8 control channels with 8 "submasters".

Or you can just go ahead and purchase Baxter's solution to this problem, with the AV-8R.

www.dmx2go.com

5. JD

JD Well-Known Member

When space is an issue, don't forget to look up! We put a pretty big show in a very small restaurant for a summer in 1981. Lights, rigging, dimmers, power distribution, everything went above the ceiling. We then just substituted Plexiglas in a lot of the ceiling tile frames. Worked well, see pic. http://witness.velmadinkley.com/pk.pl?pk=pics4/lah07.jpg