Antari DNG-200

Jackalope

We are looking to purchase a low lying fog system/machine for our theater. The stage is about 40' wide (proscenium opening is 40') and 31' from plaster line to back wall. The apron comes out 15' DS of Arch. I started researching systems but without seeing them first hand I am apprehensive (this is a huge purchase for us). We have two hight end FQ-100's (are compatible chiller units ?)
Systems I've looked into include.
LSG PFI-9D
MKII
Antari DNG-200

The last one has piques my interest due to its lack of dependence on dewing equipment and its claim to run 40,000CFM vs the 20,000CFM that the LSG PFI-9D claims. Unknown to me is first and foremost how effective they are, how long does the effect last, and finally how much does it cost to run.

In addition to department program performances, we also rent to outside users so quality of the effect is critical.

Thank-you

In my experience, to get any quality low lying fog effect, you need to use either a gas (Usually CO2, but sometimes other inert gases such as liquid nitrogen), or dry ice, but I don't have any experience with the Antari unit. I have used both of the Ultratec machines, and they work well. Another product that for sure should be on your list is the City Theatrical Aquafogger 3300. It uses dry ice, and produces great effects. The Le Maitre Peasouper has less output and holds less dry ice, but it is also a good machine. The best machine I have ever used is the MDG Ice Fog. It uses CO2, which can be a bit of a hassle, but is much easier to stock than Dry Ice. I don't know if the MDG The One does Low Lying, but if it does, it may be the ultimate choice for you, and eliminate the need for any other atmospheric effect machine. Hope this helps.

Thanks! any feedback is helpful. I am trying to move away from Dry Ice because my experiences with it have been mixed and our local supply of bulk dry ice is closed on week-ends which is a bit of pain. Co2, because we can store it so much easier would be better I think.

I have use the Antari machine a few times. The output is decent, its not too loud and the effect lasts a decent amount. How long it last varies based on the air movement in the room, wither actors are moving about in the fog and other scenarios that will cause the fog to warm and rise. If you want full coverage of your stage, I would be looking into two units, of whatever you choose.
Although the Antari is much safer to use than other options because of the toxic gas created by co2, it does cause some slipperiness near the output of the machine, so you need to be mindful of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back