Wireless Antenna Distro Advice

I have recently be asked to look into purchasing 20 channels of wireless for my job and I have decided on Sennheiser EM300's divided into 3 10U cases.

I'm currently wrestling with how to handle the antenna distribution. Is it okay to stick with the 1/4-waves if all of the receivers are on stage? Should I get distros for each case for a total of six paddles? That sounds messy considering they will move between our venues, and which distro would be best?

I have little experience with systems of this size and I have more experience engineering than I do installing, is there a better option than either of those?

How did you decide that the 300-series was the best option for your needs?

For that many channels (especially in the typically-tight RF environments around theatre spaces), I'd be inclined to go with a higher-end model or different brand (Shure UHF-R, for example). If you haven't had an RF survey done of your venue, now is the time.

As far as antenna distribution goes, you can usually loop out of one distro to the next, up to a certain number of units.

Also, what is the budget?

Last edited:
The 300-series was recommended to me by a colleague though I did research on popular brands and reviews, however I am open to other suggestions. I hear you on the RF survey, it has not been done and I was operating under the assumption that since I haven't had problems in the spaces that I wouldn't with this.

I think what I'm taking from this is that I'm out of my depth and should really pursue a professional installer.

Concerning budget, the president of the college is pushing this event so I haven't been given a number only a vague carte blanche.

I like the 300 series quite a bit and the ability to network and scan for frequencies using the Sennheiser wireless systems manager software is a really cool feature. As far as distro, I would definitely go with the Sennheiser power/antenna distros. Since you're planning on having separate racks I'm assuming that the goal is to be able to split up the package to send to different locations. Even if you're not currently planning on it, that's going to happen at some point, so treating them as 3 separate complete systems is a good idea. When you use them all together I believe that you can use a simple antenna combiner and just two paddles, but someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thank you for the response that was just the info I was looking for. I had done a quote for less channels almost a year ago and couldn't remember my reasoning but this is right on. I actually brought a college-vendored local dealer in to quote my much larger needs and his advice was much the same.

I appreciate all the helps guys, thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Before you purchase your brand new mics, make sure you're up to date on the wireless changes that are effective immediately. The white space devices are coming and two have been approved by the FCC as of today. In your area the UHF band is pretty saturated. TV channel 33(584-590) and 38(614-620) are your protected wireless mic channels and you have shared spectrum with white space devices on 23 24 25 28 30 39 40 41 43 46 47 50. That's plenty of spectrum to fit Sennheiser's G3, sadly they current don't have an EW band that covers channel 38, but they do have the G-bank that runs 566-608 and covers channel 33. There is a B-bank from 626-668. That being said, there could be plenty of other not open, but usable channels inside your building that I can't know about without being there myself. Get plenty of correctly informed advice before purchase your wireless gear. Frequency selection needs to become just as important as brand selection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back