antenna truss - lucky me

len

I was asked to update the lighting in a church yesterday. So I go out there and find a bunch of stuff that I'm still shaking my head at. But the big thing is they've got an antenna mast dead hung as a truss over the audience. Right now it's loaded with only 3 par pars but they want me to add 2 more bars and some moving lights. I can't wait to hear what my insurance agent says about that. Ain't going to happen unless they're willing to buy real truss.

Sometimes resourcefulness and ingenuity can only go so far in getting something cheap. I'm sure that the insurance agency would have a field day with that one.

It kinda surprises me they hung that as a truss... first you would have to think... I need a truss... then go hang that.... I would think they would just hang a piece of schedule 40 and then watch it bend. Is at least the welded variety and not the rivited type? Thoughts of scaling those as a child is now rushing back to me...

Last year someone gave me a bunch of pipes that had apparently been used to hang lights in the gym at the college. They are about 2" in diameter and white... which was my first concern. Picking it up a 10' section weighed about 5 pounds. Turns out the walls of this stuff are less than 1/8" thick. It reminded me of the tubing used to build the really cheaply made swing sets they sell at K-mart. Um. NO!

I was asked to update the lighting in a church yesterday. So I go out there and find a bunch of stuff that I'm still shaking my head at. But the big thing is they've got an antenna mast dead hung as a truss over the audience. Right now it's loaded with only 3 par pars but they want me to add 2 more bars and some moving lights. I can't wait to hear what my insurance agent says about that. Ain't going to happen unless they're willing to buy real truss.

Run far, run fast.....

This might be one of those times that you say "Look here, this ain't safe, lemme have more money to do it right, or I am not gonna touch it with a 10' pole."

This might be one of those times that you say "Look here, this ain't safe, lemme have more money to do it right, or I am not gonna touch it with a 10' pole."

Bazact-lee. They want to update/expand so they can eventually broadcast their services. Their plan is several upgrades over the next year. I just have to explain that it will either cost more or take longer than they had hoped originally.

And it's actually 30' pole, since that's how high the trim is.

Bazact-lee. They want to update/expand so they can eventually broadcast their services. Their plan is several upgrades over the next year. I just have to explain that it will either cost more or take longer than they had hoped originally.
And it's actually 30' pole, since that's how high the trim is.

Do they have motors or garage door openers to bring it in?

"Well we back the church Van up to the building and pull a tire off... This cable wraps around the hub... Pastor Bob puts it in forward to raise the truss and reverse to lower it. When we are done we wrap the wire around that railing over there."

I wouldn't touch it with a 30' wombat. It's all got to go or I'm not touching it.

gafftaper;69846 .... I wouldn't touch it with a 30' wombat. [/QUOTE said:
How many carrots would you need to feed a 30 foot (10 metre) ( 19 cubit*) Wombat?

*Not to scale. Measurements involving cubits are approximate.

Ah yes, antenna truss indeed = crap!

Found myself out on three different sticks of that shite about 4 years ago in Springfield, IL. for (shall remain nameless). Size 12 feet don't fit well on it, and when it's a 50 foot span from SL to SR...don't even get me started.

I still wonder 'why' to this day. Run far far far away from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back