Any info on a lighting school that I can attend

Hi, Everyone
I am an upcoming Lighting guy based in Nairobi Kenya, I have acquired skills that are self taught on a specific console and that is the tiger touch avolites console.
I want to be a certified lighting engineer and I was wondering if there's a school that I can attend and get the skills that can help me in my dreams.

Based on your written post, I'd guess reasonably proficient English language skills ?.

That might steer you towards either the UK or the US. I can't speak for the UK, so;

One school that has a program specific to entertainment technical work is the NY City University College of Technology. Based in downtown Brooklyn, the faculty is composed of a lot of folks who work in the local entertainment businesses. As a City/State of NY school, tuition is reasonable, and even more so if you live in NY for at least a year and can then establish residency, which allows for a reduced tuition expense.

http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/entertainment/course-listing.aspx

What is your long range goal? I'm not sure what a "certified lighting engineer". Other than labor union jurisdictions, anyone can run a lighting console in the US without a license or certification. So, do you want to find a training program - like Steve's - where I suspect you will get a broader tech theatre education than just lighting consoles and get support in finding a job running lighting console. I think that is a two year program.

Probably should start with how much school have you had? And are you 18 or older? And are you willing to locate in another country? Are you looking to make this a carrer or simply avocation?

More questions but a start.

What is your long range goal? I'm not sure what a "certified lighting engineer". Other than labor union jurisdictions, anyone can run a lighting console in the US without a license or certification. So, do you want to find a training program - like Steve's - where I suspect you will get a broader tech theatre education than just lighting consoles and get support in finding a job running lighting console. I think that is a two year program.

Probably should start with how much school have you had? And are you 18 or older? And are you willing to locate in another country? Are you looking to make this a carrer or simply avocation?

More questions but a start.
I take it in high regards that you've taken your time to answer my thread.

I hold a certificate from a local technical institute here in Nairobi Kenya. I am older in the sense that am past 30. I am looking forward to make this my career. Am comfartable moving in any country.

I would like to get a broader tech theatre and eventually finding a job and own my console

Based on your written post, I'd guess reasonably proficient English language skills ?.

That might steer you towards either the UK or the US. I can't speak for the UK, so;

One school that has a program specific to entertainment technical work is the NY City University College of Technology. Based in downtown Brooklyn, the faculty is composed of a lot of folks who work in the local entertainment businesses. As a City/State of NY school, tuition is reasonable, and even more so if you live in NY for at least a year and can then establish residency, which allows for a reduced tuition expense.

http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/entertainment/course-listing.aspx
Thank you for the info.

I would, in all honesty, recommend City Tech before Brooklyn. This is mostly as I feel that the technical theater program, especially for lighting, is more comprehensive at Tech. Brooklyn is a design oriented almost in its entirety, while Tech does a better job of the basics as well as pure technical. If you want to program, than Tech is stronger at that. City Tech as example, has John Huntington teaching and if you want to learn about network systems and show control, well he wrote the book.

If you desire more information, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back